Anokata theory: The boss may be...

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
blackmoon

Re: Anokata theory: The boss may be...

Post by blackmoon »

Spimer wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 8:32 am
... It doesn't. And by "has already appeared" he meant Karasuma Renya that had appeared in Vol. 30 as a silhouette.

Sorry but it's confirmed that "ano kata" = Karasuma Renya. Unmistakably.
Hmm... no fun if Renya actually turns out to be an oldman like "RUM"... much more interesting if Karasuma Renya turns out to be Gin who used APTX to become young again ;)
Speaking of that person the boss... this new 2020 anime with Moriarty and Sherlock is much interesting to watch 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr8LYGaU4_I
"one should stick with one's original plan" (初志貫徹 shoshi kantetsu) ;)
Spoiler:
HatiMMOS

Post by HatiMMOS »

Reader wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 1:34 am
HatiMMOS wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 10:18 pm
The Italian Pasta Theory:
Why i think Toto Riina was the inspiration for Anokata.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneTruthPrevai ... &context=3
This is a interesting and a fresh take. I liked reading it, even though the possibility of it being true is low imo.
Low possibility? go check the post again now.
Toto Riina died in november of 2017, chapter 1008 was released in december of the same year.
Aoyama sensei took a long 4 months health hiatus after 1008, poor guy he had to deal also with the shock. I hope he stay healthy forever.
Spoiler:
Edogawa "The Cone" Conan
Thanks @bleu_calire
Reader

Post by Reader »

You know that Tottori is a place in Japan right? So it is not that because Gosho is using Toto Rina references he decided to say the boss's place is Tottori. It could be a coincidence.
And yes there Italy is mentioned various times mostly with respect to it's food, but that should be no surprise since Italian food is pretty famous or atleast the name is, just like Chinese noodles or Indian curry.
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

blacksnake245 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 12:41 pm
The boss is most likely
Spoiler:
Maria Higashio.
A Reddit user mac326 has posted a thread providing evidence that she is the boss.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneTruthPrevai ... nt_have_a/

The evidence is pretty solid in my opinion.
Oh I just saw this. Seems our Maria theory is getting more traction? We theorized on most of these points 4 years ago, with the main new thing I'm getting from here is finding the 西尾 公秀 name in the guestbook of the mermaid's case, which is actually quite interesting.

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but one big point supporting the Maria theory is the name of the boss's phone number: Nanatsu no Ko (七つの子). I've seen it translated as Seven Children in English, but the real meaning of the name is still ambiguous. There's actually a second possible meaning of Seven Years Old and within Japanese literary circles, it's still being debated which one is the correct interpretation (or if it's ambiguous on purpose). Holding the second meaning "Seven Years Old" would add even more fuel to Maria being the boss since there aren't many 7 year olds in the series and she's one of the few.

That said, her appearances in Zero's Tea Time just seems way too normal to me. Unless she's really really goddamn deep undercover or there's some body swap or something, I can't see any reason for her to act this much like a kid.
vermouth_vineyard

Post by vermouth_vineyard »

THIS IS WHAT I THINK ONLY. I STILL NOT HAVE ENOUGH EVIDENCE FOR THIS THEORY

I have two theory.

I think Karasuma Renya is dead. So, Vermouth disguise as Karasuma but she is not real Karasuma. She just pretend to be boss of the BO because of she had some connection directly with Karasuma and need to continue the organization or there is a secret that could not reveal. Like she said " A Secret Makes a Woman, Woman"

Another theory is, Vermouth, Marry Sera and Elena Miyano is sibling. Because their face kinda look alike and somehow their faces are not like Japanese at all. Maybe this three sibling is daughter of Karasuma Renya. But there is a reason that happened to them and may be related to APTX 4869. The relationship between them is not good and thats why Vermouth says Elena Miyano is a hell angel. Yeah i think it was related to that drugs is the big reason of hostility.
millz

Post by millz »

i know this thread is dead, but i wanted to add my 2 cents!

the maria theory is interesting. the biggest hole in it imo is that it is canonically confirmed that haibara would be able to create an antidote if she had access to all of the drug's info. since the boss obviously DOES have access to the drug's info, it's pretty much impossible for them to be *forcibly* in the body of a child. unless an earlier form of the drug (maybe a version created close to the time vermouth took the drug?) both deaged the person and prevented them from aging.

we also have to think about gosho as a writer.
as in, i personally do not want the boss to be some rando. sure, i don't want it to be something crazy like prof agasa (i know he's been explicitly named as someone who isn't the boss, but just for the sake of an example), but i would want it to be a relatively prominent character with just enough dubiousness around them that the reveal would be like, "WAIT.... wait.... ohhhhh!!!!!!" that's what irks me the most about yoko/maria-esque theories; a background character as the boss just isn't narratively fulfilling imo.
BUT.... gosho seems to be fond of doing the whole random character route. he favors things like word play and subtle shadowing over a more broad narrative strength. so while the specific identity of maria comes off as somewhat absurd, i think the approach to the theory is actually very in line w gosho's approach to big reveals.

i do worry that karasuma is literally just gonna be karasuma LMAO. i mean, i don't think it's the likeliest option, but i feel like there's maybe a 10% chance that it'll just be like, "ah yes.... karasuma... he's been in hiding all these years...." lmao. or, like, genichirou kaneshiro

also, while i think there are a lot of holes in this theory, i find it really interesting: https://tetragon4-blog.tumblr.com/post/ ... f-ano-kata
the one thing i do agree with (or i guess think is most plausible?) in this theory is the fact that current anokata is NOT the original renya karasuma. it's not implausible for him to be the og one, but i just feel like the first karasuma died for some reason. the theory above outlines more specific reasons as to why op believes the original karasuma is dead, and they're interesting. it's mostly a feeling for me, though, lol. i also think it adds more flexibility as to possible boss identities without having to rely on the drug and gender and stuff - which i think is cool!

i also "feel like" (or, well, wld be a little dumb not to consider that) the miyano/akai family has GOTTA be somehow directly related to the boss. i don't think their involvement is just, like, a coincidence, or a result of recruitment that happened 30 years ago. it's more than that. i think they are somehow key to the whole puzzle/to the very origins of the bo. that's not far fetched at all. i saw a theory postulating that vermouth is mary & elena's sister, but, nah, i don't think so. she's just white. still.... idk.

it's also a little annoying because it's difficult to discern whether some connections are just a result of gosho wanting to add it for the sake of an easter egg/added drama or actually legitimate...
like, is there any larger significance to yukiko knowing vermouth, or is it just a "omg gasp! new york and stuff! also i can't believe my old bestie is a bad guy </3" moment??
what about the kuroba family? obviously, there's close to NO way they'll actually be involved in this whole thing, but, still.... toichi teaching vermouth? kaito's knowledge of everything & involvement in some bo moments? again, is this just an easter egg ("oh, so cool, the magician's dad taught the bad guy :O!!!! what coincidence xp!!!!") or is it, like, for real?
same with the kudos' weird knowledge of everything. is this supposed to be serious, or is this just a nice combo of a convenient plot point & proof that shinichi's parents are Good and Cool, After All?
HatiMMOS

Post by HatiMMOS »

I watched The Batman and it had a character called "Carmine Falcone". It only reminds me of the unanswered part of where the "Karasuma" came from. The real Falcone has a Maria in his family too. He was a judge.
Spoiler:
Edogawa "The Cone" Conan
Thanks @bleu_calire
jcchimaera

Post by jcchimaera »

Huh? is this thread dead?
Anton-9

Post by Anton-9 »

This is not the most recent thread. Check file 1097-99 thread for more updates and other theories.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

Now that the boss identity has been revealed, there's no point in speculating about it anymore.

What could be speculated if Karasuma Renya is indeed still alive in the current timeline and he's really the one giving orders. And what kind of relationship exists between him and Vermouth.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
HatiMMOS

Post by HatiMMOS »

What profession did Anokata have before he turned into the boss we know now? Only two come to my mind.

Moriarty was a maths professor, and the suspicious Eisuke Tokiwa was a professor at a university and was tied to drug inventions. Gosho reported that Haibara knows the boss but won't consider him as a candidate. Haibara was an introvert nerd scientist. If she knows him, it is from the things he did before he was reported missing or faked his death. An old university professor he is.

"Giving liquor names to BO members as nicknames is cool." said the gigi a long time ago. From a narrative perspective, He will try to make sense out of it. The second in command is a chef who works at restaurants.
I believe that the BO operates by running a series of Italian shops and restaurants (which is how Amuro skillfully joined the BO and the PSB is aware of that. We all know how much the introduction of an important character says about him. In the interview with Amuro's voice actor, Gosho said that he will be speaking Italian. It is more instructive if he was joking than if Amuro is going to be speaking Italian (because if he does, it will be framed by the context and events of the movie, though Italy and BO in the same movie is good.) because, from a Freudian psychoanalysis perspective, the jokes reflect a part of the unconscious mind). He must be knowledgeable about the food industry, especially alcohol. That's how he met Wakita in the earlier days.

Yours?
Spoiler:
Edogawa "The Cone" Conan
Thanks @bleu_calire
Anton-9

Post by Anton-9 »

HatiMMOS wrote:
September 9th, 2022, 9:37 pm
What profession did Anokata have before he turned into the boss we know now? Only two come to my mind.

Moriarty was a maths professor, and the suspicious Eisuke Tokiwa was a professor at a university and was tied to drug inventions. Gosho reported that Haibara knows the boss but won't consider him as a candidate. Haibara was an introvert nerd scientist. If she knows him, it is from the things he did before he was reported missing or faked his death. An old university professor he is.

"Giving liquor names to BO members as nicknames is cool." said the gigi a long time ago. From a narrative perspective, He will try to make sense out of it. The second in command is a chef who works at restaurants.
I believe that the BO operates by running a series of Italian shops and restaurants (which is how Amuro skillfully joined the BO and the PSB is aware of that. We all know how much the introduction of an important character says about him. In the interview with Amuro's voice actor, Gosho said that he will be speaking Italian. It is more instructive if he was joking than if Amuro is going to be speaking Italian (because if he does, it will be framed by the context and events of the movie, though Italy and BO in the same movie is good.) because, from a Freudian psychoanalysis perspective, the jokes reflect a part of the unconscious mind). He must be knowledgeable about the food industry, especially alcohol. That's how he met Wakita in the earlier days.

Yours?
Eisaku Tokiwa fits the facts pretty well. He is a professor, thus he had ample chance to meet Haibara. Given Haibara's educational background it's fair to assume that she must have met a lot of professors in the course of her learning.
She won't consider the person as a boss candidate meaning she never met the person as someone from BO. So more hints that it's one the folks who met her as someone non BO.

I do think Rum might be a liquor baron or something like that. It is even possible that Rum looks after the company aka Karasuma group as Karasuma can't possibly run it with his new identity.
HatiMMOS

Post by HatiMMOS »

Anton-9 wrote:
September 10th, 2022, 5:44 am

She won't consider the person as a boss candidate meaning she never met the person as someone from BO. So more hints that it's one the folks who met her as someone non BO.
She has most likely never met him before. In this case, he must have been famous in the scientific R&D community and/or ex-owner of a big lab.
Spoiler:
Edogawa "The Cone" Conan
Thanks @bleu_calire
HatiMMOS

Post by HatiMMOS »

Isn't it weird that at the start of the case of 1008, Gosho didn't even hint at the possibility of having a Boss Reveal?

The Gosho I know would drop a hint at the start of the case by, for example, Yusaku calling Conan and telling him that he will come to Japan. Not even a single clue to the reveal.
This suggests 100% that the reveal wasn't intended before the first chapter of the case was released and that the case was planned to end on the "Time is Money", and all of the fans would have been more than satisfied with that. Still, somehow he decided to bring Yusaku and his wife from the US to Japan, make the DB solve the puzzle of the case, and drop the "TOKIWA KANENORI" screaming to the fans that Wakita is RUM and show him meeting with Agasa playing with fire toying with the mind of the average reader.

The same thing for the second chapter, it was filled with nothing, he had room for at least a Kudo Family talk over the phone.

If I suddenly had a mental condition serious to the point where it requires months for me to recover from, the last thing I would do is draw a big "Carasuma" double page and add extra work for me and probably ruin the flow of the next events.

Whatever thing happened to him before the release of 1008, it must have been important to him.
Spoiler:
Edogawa "The Cone" Conan
Thanks @bleu_calire
hecaxih

Post by hecaxih »

thriceplus wrote:
July 4th, 2021, 11:47 pm
blacksnake245 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 12:41 pm
The boss is most likely
Spoiler:
Maria Higashio.
A Reddit user mac326 has posted a thread providing evidence that she is the boss.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneTruthPrevai ... nt_have_a/

The evidence is pretty solid in my opinion.
Oh I just saw this. Seems our Maria theory is getting more traction? We theorized on most of these points 4 years ago, with the main new thing I'm getting from here is finding the 西尾 公秀 name in the guestbook of the mermaid's case, which is actually quite interesting.

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but one big point supporting the Maria theory is the name of the boss's phone number: Nanatsu no Ko (七つの子). I've seen it translated as Seven Children name at coolnamesfinder, but the real meaning of the name is still ambiguous. There's actually a second possible meaning of Seven Years Old and within Japanese literary circles, it's still being debated which one is the correct interpretation (or if it's ambiguous on purpose). Holding the second meaning "Seven Years Old" would add even more fuel to Maria being the boss since there aren't many 7 year olds in the series and she's one of the few.

That said, her appearances in Zero's Tea Time just seems way too normal to me. Unless she's really really goddamn deep undercover or there's some body swap or something, I can't see any reason for her to act this much like a kid.
You are aware that Tottori is a city in Japan. Therefore, it is not that Gosho chose to say that the boss's location is Tottori because he is making parallels to Toto Rina. It might be an accident.
And sure, Italy is frequently cited in relation to its cuisine, which is not surprising given that Chinese noodles and Indian curries also have a very well-known term.