Mystery Poll: Poll #37

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Tsuburaya Mitsuhiko

Re: Mystery Poll: Week #7

Post by Tsuburaya Mitsuhiko »

I don't think anyone will die. Maybe, just maybe Vermouth might die, because her character is all about aging and the Life & Death concept, so death could be something like her salvation.

As for anyone else, no chance, as far as I'm concerned. Though I hope Gosho proves me wrong.
"aim the impossible to reach the possible"
Jecka
I'm only tired 25/8, don't mind me

Post by Jecka »

Gin, Vermy, James, and/or maybe Matsumoto.
Gin and Vermy seem most likely, James possibly because other than retirement I don't see what else can happen :x Matsumoto was kinda thrown in there :V
3DS FC: 1435-4098-2557
Spoiler: Yay Nini! \o/
Usa-chan Man wrote: I am a rabbit, but at the same time, I am not.
Jecka: Those damn beavers
*Jecka sobs
Slider: Those DAM beavers? :V
Jecka: Slider no
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Jd- »

Vermouth will probably sacrifice for Ran/Haibara/Conan and die in the end.

Gin I expect to die, Vodka arrested. Most of the Borg members could go either way, but I suspect Gosho will have them arrested. The Boss will probably have to go down with the ship.

All of the main characters are protected, with only Kir as an outlier that may end up dead someday. I'd honestly expect her to make it through too, though.
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Eighth poll is up
unclesporkums
The one you'd never suspect...

Re: Mystery Poll: Week #8

Post by unclesporkums »

Thanks, Kor! I was a little torn, regarding the quote, but I ultimately went with Chekhov's theory idea.
"Let's decide once and for all, Vermouth! No more hide-and-seek!!" - Conan Edogawa

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/unclesporkums?feature=mhee
Deviantart: http://drmuttonchops3.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://unclesporkums.tumblr.com/
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Jd- »

I've always been convinced APTX is somehow involved in prolonging life but may also be for curing some illness(es) as well.
unclesporkums

Post by unclesporkums »

Who knows? Chek believes the Boss has a personal agenda, so I went with that.
"Let's decide once and for all, Vermouth! No more hide-and-seek!!" - Conan Edogawa

Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

I really don't have a firm opinion on this subject.
On the one hand, I can believe the goal is immortality. It's such a cliche for an evil organization to search for immortality, which is why I can imagine Gosho would go in that route, cause it's a cliche :V
On the other hand, the reverse aging thing also seems like a possibility considering the side effects, but it's just not a controlled effect at this point which is why it's incomplete. (though a "fountain of youth" aspect is also a cliche).

Then there's the whole Vermouth aspect which just makes it more confusing.

I think I'll go with the reverse aging option.
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

Kor wrote:I really don't have a firm opinion on this subject.
On the one hand, I can believe the goal is immortality. It's such a cliche for an evil organization to search for immortality, which is why I can imagine Gosho would go in that route, cause it's a cliche :V
On the other hand, the reverse aging thing also seems like a possibility considering the side effects, but it's just not a controlled effect at this point which is why it's incomplete. (though a "fountain of youth" aspect is also a cliche).

Then there's the whole Vermouth aspect which just makes it more confusing.

I think I'll go with the reverse aging option.

Wasn't immortality ruled out at some point?
I vagely remember an interview where Gosho responded to this kind of question about immortality with
"You would think that, but no" or something....i think....
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
unclesporkums

Post by unclesporkums »

Yes, he did.

Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Didn't remember that.

Oh well, then that solves my dilemma, then.

Not to say I can't imagine it being an "extending life" sort of thing either, but if that were the case, the one with such motivation (the boss) would be pretty old by now (Haibara and the half a century project statement), so why "extend life" when your drug's side effect reverses aging altogether, thus not only would it extend your life, but also make you younger.
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Post by Nemomon »

Voted for "Something Else".

I voted for this because of the side effect of the APTX (turning child).

If it would be to Reverse aging, BO already could be well aware that some APTX-ed people might be children. Therefore they would start looking for Shiho in some primary schools too. Since they didn't look for her there, the APTX wasn't meant to reverse aging, because this possible outcome isn't even considered (in searching for Shiho) by BO.

Halt aging (immortality) - I'm pretty sure that BO is well aware that stopping aging isn't something they would want. They might stop aging, but any other damages to their bodies still will be not cureable. There's a black comedy movie called "Death Becomes Her", it greatly explains why nobody would want to halt aging. Plus, even if it halts aging, there's no possible explanation how its side effect could cause reversing aging.

Extend human's lifespan - Again, damaged done to the body could be permanent. This one actually could be one of the most possible goal options, considering that Vermouth currently is not aging, and a mistake in the APTX actually could cause age regression instead of extending lifespan.

Cure diseases - I think BO already has enough good source of money, so they don't need to cause a pandemic to gain money for sealing a vaccine for it.

Raise the dead - Perhaps. But the APTX is a medicine, and a dead body is... well dead. I don't think this medicine could allow a soul to return to body. Especially that the death state is much different than the coma state.

A deadly poison - There are currently many poisons, and I don't think that BO must be very secretive with their assassinations (considering that Gin was willing to blow up entire train station to be sure that Shiho didn't make it).
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
Uchiha Shadow

Post by Uchiha Shadow »

Nemomon wrote:Voted for "Something Else".

I voted for this because of the side effect of the APTX (turning child).

If it would be to Reverse aging, BO already could be well aware that some APTX-ed people might be children. Therefore they would start looking for Shiho in some primary schools too. Since they didn't look for her there, the APTX wasn't meant to reverse aging, because this possible outcome isn't even considered (in searching for Shiho) by BO.

Halt aging (immortality) - I'm pretty sure that BO is well aware that stopping aging isn't something they would want. They might stop aging, but any other damages to their bodies still will be not cureable. There's a black comedy movie called "Death Becomes Her", it greatly explains why nobody would want to halt aging. Plus, even if it halts aging, there's no possible explanation how its side effect could cause reversing aging.

Extend human's lifespan - Again, damaged done to the body could be permanent. This one actually could be one of the most possible goal options, considering that Vermouth currently is not aging, and a mistake in the APTX actually could cause age regression instead of extending lifespan.

Cure diseases - I think BO already has enough good source of money, so they don't need to cause a pandemic to gain money for sealing a vaccine for it.

Raise the dead - Perhaps. But the APTX is a medicine, and a dead body is... well dead. I don't think this medicine could allow a soul to return to body. Especially that the death state is much different than the coma state.

A deadly poison - There are currently many poisons, and I don't think that BO must be very secretive with their assassinations (considering that Gin was willing to blow up entire train station to be sure that Shiho didn't make it).
The thing is, Pisco hinted that the drug development is going in the right direction after seeing Shiho shrink, that means that reversing aging is in the right direction, that doesn't mean that that's the goal, but it should be related to it.
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Post by Chekhov MacGuffin »

unclesporkums wrote:Who knows? Chek believes the Boss has a personal agenda, so I went with that.
This is what I want to vote for, but I'm not sure which option is the most technically correct. I'll have to think about it.

I think APTX has a specific purpose it is supposed to achieve, but the boss has a personal goal that goes beyond APTX (which is what Gosho was refering to by the big goal not being immortality.)
Uchiha Shadow

Post by Uchiha Shadow »

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
unclesporkums wrote:Who knows? Chek believes the Boss has a personal agenda, so I went with that.
This is what I want to vote for, but I'm not sure which option is the most technically correct. I'll have to think about it.

I think APTX has a specific purpose it is supposed to achieve, but the boss has a personal goal that goes beyond APTX (which is what Gosho was refering to by the big goal not being immortality.)
This is what I am thinking as well.