Mystery Poll: Poll #37

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Tsuburaya Mitsuhiko

Re: Mystery Poll: Week #5

Post by Tsuburaya Mitsuhiko »

Kor wrote:
Tsuburaya Mitsuhiko wrote:Who do you guys think Kuroda could be if not Rum ? Could he really fill any role besides the role of Rum ?
He could be just a red herring for Rum. For all we know, he can be a regular one eyed superintendent with a suspicious backstory, or maybe he has connections to Amuro, or maybe he's also working against the BO, or maybe he'll just try to find those who caused his accident in the past, or maybe he's actually the true owner of cafe poirot and he just forgot about it, etc.

I can think of many roles he can fit other than Rum. :V
Mhmm, besides the Cafe Poirot thing those options don't sound very interesting. And would Gosho really put so much effort into Kurodas design and character, if he's simply an unimportant Policeman ?

But I generally noticed the current pace in DC seems to be unusually fast, so maybe Gosho didn't want to focus on Rums identity but instead what he can do with the character. It feels like Gosho may want to expand our knowledge about the structure and scope of the BO through Rum, but I'm not sure how well that would fit Gosho's style.
"aim the impossible to reach the possible"
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

Tsuburaya Mitsuhiko wrote:
Kor wrote:
Tsuburaya Mitsuhiko wrote:Who do you guys think Kuroda could be if not Rum ? Could he really fill any role besides the role of Rum ?
He could be just a red herring for Rum. For all we know, he can be a regular one eyed superintendent with a suspicious backstory, or maybe he has connections to Amuro, or maybe he's also working against the BO, or maybe he'll just try to find those who caused his accident in the past, or maybe he's actually the true owner of cafe poirot and he just forgot about it, etc.

I can think of many roles he can fit other than Rum. :V
Mhmm, besides the Cafe Poirot thing those options don't sound very interesting. And would Gosho really put so much effort into Kurodas design and character, if he's simply an unimportant Policeman ?
Hm, Gosho did the same thing with Camel though, he too started as a red herring. Sure, Camel's character design is not as elaborate as Kuroda's but still. And he doesn't have to be unimportant, he could become Conan's direct ally in the MPD like Jodie is his direct ally in the FBI.
unclesporkums
The one you'd never suspect...

Post by unclesporkums »

I've also made that kind of analogy. I theorize that Kuroda will go on to eventually do something so suspicious, or nearly incriminating that it will assure the reader, "Okay, there's no doubt. He's Rum." (i.e. Camel punching Jodie in the parking garage), then the tables will turn, and Kuroda will reveal his benign motives for such an action.
"Let's decide once and for all, Vermouth! No more hide-and-seek!!" - Conan Edogawa

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/unclesporkums?feature=mhee
Deviantart: http://drmuttonchops3.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://unclesporkums.tumblr.com/
rohitjadhavrj

Post by rohitjadhavrj »

Kor wrote:
Jecka wrote:and/or Masumi's father (this last one is because I think it'd be really interesting it is or if he's somehow involved :O )
Nooooooo D:
No more Akai family members. Enough with those Akais already. Akai used to be this cool FBI agent, but now that his family takes so much focus, he's really becoming a chore as a character. Maybe he didn't fake his death just to help Kir, maybe he also did so to get away from his family.
But seriously, I will shout if Akai's father is alive and also becomes a part of this. I mean, we might as well get Akai's grandparents if that's the case.
rohitjadhavrj wrote: and as for the old man from vol. 58 i think gosho said he wasn't important or any BO agent i guess and in manga it didn't show much of him either(i might have to re-read that chapter).
Are you sure you're not mixing it up with Gosho saying those two shadowy FBI agents can be ignored? If not, do you remember anything of where/when Gosho said that?

i know what he said about those two shadowy FBI agents. and yeah i might have mix them up but i kinda remember it from the translating interviews thread but i have to check it again.
but even if he didn't said that do you think he would be important or he might just be an agent from BO.
vol.58, file 607, page 9.
he is shown in only two panels.
though it is suspicious why an old man would show up at a place like that and at such time(mid-night maybe?) and just go sit there.
unclesporkums
The one you'd never suspect...

Post by unclesporkums »

He was probably most likely one of the older agents, or Vermouth in disguise.
"Let's decide once and for all, Vermouth! No more hide-and-seek!!" - Conan Edogawa

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/unclesporkums?feature=mhee
Deviantart: http://drmuttonchops3.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://unclesporkums.tumblr.com/
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

rohitjadhavrj wrote: but even if he didn't said that do you think he would be important or he might just be an agent from BO.
vol.58, file 607, page 9.
he is shown in only two panels.
though it is suspicious why an old man would show up at a place like that and at such time(mid-night maybe?) and just go sit there.
Dunno. It's just a speculation. Though it's worth pointing out Gosho showed him again in Camel's inner thoughts very recently (file 896). So there's sort of an argument to make that Gosho might have wanted to remind us of the old man for some reason.
Tsuburaya Mitsuhiko wrote: Mhmm, besides the Cafe Poirot thing those options don't sound very interesting. And would Gosho really put so much effort into Kurodas design and character, if he's simply an unimportant Policeman ?
If said character is supposed to be a red herring, then yeah, I can see Gosho putting effort into the character design in order to fool the reader. Plus, Gosho can spend a lot of time on stuff that isn't really important (like a lot of the relationships), so it's not like he'd be going out of his way if another one of his characters turns to be unimportant or doesn't have a role that is too interesting.
Uchiha Shadow

Post by Uchiha Shadow »

I would like to say the old man from vol.58 but it's more likely that he was Bourbon, and since
Spoiler:
Gosho said RUM has already appeared, and that was before chapter 906 came out
I'd say it's another character who has appeared before but I don't know who it could be.
Touichi Kuroba

Post by Touichi Kuroba »

I'll wait for some more qualified opinion on this, but I don't think we need to take the animal crossing hints this seriously.That comment could have simply referred to Lum, which Gosho drew in the case right after the scarlet arc
Memesu

Post by Memesu »

Really hope it's group of three.
Umineko kickstarter soon
https://www.umineko.us/#

Secret santa gift from PT <3
Calling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0569Wt-cZ0
Heliotropic

Post by Heliotropic »

If I had to go with one option, I'd say another character from the past sums that up pretty well. The old man in that volume does seem like a solid guess if anything, but I'm not really sure what to think. I am quite convinced that Kuroda isn't Rum though.
AwD4869

Post by AwD4869 »

I think Rum being Akai's father would be a really good story to follow. It could be a way of "looping the loop" with the Akai family, give more sense to their story and justificate their importance.
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

AwD4869 wrote:I think Rum being Akai's father would be a really good story to follow. It could be a way of "looping the loop" with the Akai family, give more sense to their story and justificate their importance.
So... if we go with this theory, did Rum know his very own son infiltrated the organization as a spy of the FBI, or was Rum also fooled? Or did Rum know and let his son infiltrate the org because Rum also wants to bring down the org? Or was Rum not even aware of this whole business? And does Akai know his father is such a key member there, or does he not know? I mean, if he knows, why would the FBI send the son of such a key member to infiltrate? Wouldn't Akai be in the risk of being recognized? Or, why would Akai infiltrate via such a low key connection as Akemi, when he could have asked daddy to get in on this BO business?

I just fail to see how any of this would make a good story, and I definitely don't see any need to give the Akai family even more agency.
Uchiha Shadow

Post by Uchiha Shadow »

Kor wrote:
AwD4869 wrote:I think Rum being Akai's father would be a really good story to follow. It could be a way of "looping the loop" with the Akai family, give more sense to their story and justificate their importance.
So... if we go with this theory, did Rum know his very own son infiltrated the organization as a spy of the FBI, or was Rum also fooled? Or did Rum know and let his son infiltrate the org because Rum also wants to bring down the org? Or was Rum not even aware of this whole business? And does Akai know his father is such a key member there, or does he not know? I mean, if he knows, why would the FBI send the son of such a key member to infiltrate? Wouldn't Akai be in the risk of being recognized? Or, why would Akai infiltrate via such a low key connection as Akemi, when he could have asked daddy to get in on this BO business?

I just fail to see how any of this would make a good story, and I definitely don't see any need to give the Akai family even more agency.
Exactly what I was thinking.
AwD4869

Post by AwD4869 »

I didn't say that I was thinking Akai's father is Rum. But in my opinion it would be a great story to pursue. And yes there is too many questions if it was right. I think you point most of them.
Since Rum already appear who could it be ? I'm not fond of the old men's theory I find his appearing too random. But who knows ?
Last edited by AwD4869 on March 27th, 2015, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Jd- »

Going with Kuroda as Rum straight-up as we build toward the big reveal in File 2000.