Re: ESPIONAGE: Round Six (Detective & Civilians win!)

The home to DCTP Forum Mafia as well as any other type of random forum game that you can conjure up.
Fujiwara
DCTP Staff Member

Re: ESPIONAGE: Round Six (Detective & Civilians win!)

Post by Fujiwara »

Espionage - Round 6

Start time has been set, but new players can still join till the start of Prep Phase!

Start of Prep Phase: July, 26th - 10 pm CEST
Phase change time: 10 pm CEST
General Overview

Rule Changes Introduced

Encrypted codes, invisible text or any other attempt to hide information in your posts are forbidden, except for evil players (Spy & Informants). This also means that players shouldn't try to use references only some people will understand (insider information, so to speak).

Other than that the rules are as they were in Espionage Round 5.
Roles and Objectives

Espionage revolves around the interplay between special roles that two players are assigned: the Spy and the Detective. The Spy's goal is to eliminate the Detective by whatever means possible, while the Detective's goal is to locate and lynch the Spy. The remaining players will be Civilians. Some of those have been corrupted and are to assist the Spy, they're the Informants. All other Civilians are to help the Detective.
So you can think of it like this: Detective and Civilians make up one team trying to kill the Spy, Spy and Informants make up another team trying to kill the Detective.

These are the four only roles in the game. There's one Detective, one Spy, a small number of Informants, and a lot of Civilians. How many Informants are in the game depends on the total number of players and is announced when the game begins. The roles are assigned randomly and aside from one exception you alone are informed of your role.

This is a game in which you are allowed to lie and players pretend to be roles they're not. You can rarely be certain if someone's telling the truth and it's often not easy to tell who's friend and who's foe.

Events Over The Course of The Game

The game consists of phases that are 24 hours long. Two important things happen at the end of every phase:
— A player might die at the hands of the Spy.
— A player might be lynched by the entire town.
Over the course of the phase every player is expected to send the GM their vote. Unless there is a tie, whoever receives the most votes is lynched. In addition to the vote the Spy can also use their Kill action, thereby eliminating a player. Players' roles are revealed upon death.

When the Spy dies the game ends in a Detective/Civilians win. When the Detective dies the remaining Civilians have two more phases in which they can try to find and lynch the Spy and win. If the Spy is still alive after those two phases, the game ends in a Spy/Informants win.

Rules

Roles and Their Abilities

Spy
Kill: Kills one player the Spy chooses to target.
Order: Sends a message of any length to all Informants.
Note: Order can be used every phase, including Prep Phase.
Spoiler: Rules applying to Order
An Informant's response to cues from the Spy received through the ability Order has to take place in the game topic and cannot involve anything outside of it, including posts in other topics elsewhere on the forum or the changing of signatures or altering any other profile information. Additionally, it must not be requested to edit posts for confirmation purposes.
Detective
Investigate: The Detective sends in the names of three players to be investigated one of which they'll learn is not the Spy. Since there is just one Spy in the game out of the three names submitted either two or all three are non-Spies. Which of those two or those three is returned is random.
Spoiler: Rules applying to Investigate
— Every player's name cannot be sent in more than two times.
— The Detective may not submit his or her own name.
— The number of players the Detective has investigated must be three, it cannot be more or less.
— If the Detective's submitted Investigate is invalid it fails. In that case there's no non-Spy revealed.
Informant
No abilities
The Informant learns the identity of the Spy when the game start.
If the Spy uses Order, all Informants still alive receive the message at phase change.

Civilian
No abilities
With the end of Prep Phase and the beginning of Day 1, every Civilian receives a list with a unique set of names of fellow players. Each contains the Detective's and all Informants' names among others.
Spoiler: How lists are generated
The number of names on each list depends on the total number of players in the game and is announced when the game starts. Aside from Detective and Informants who are on every list, names are randomly chosen from the remaining players, that is Spy and Civilians. All players assuming either the Spy's or a Civilian's role have the same chance of appearing on a list, the Spy isn't any more or less likely to than any Civilian. The only player who cannot appear on a list is the Civilian receiving it.
With the exception of Order, all abilities mentioned above cannot be used in Prep Phase. Use is optional any Day phase.

Each Day phase every player, no matter what role they've been assigned, has to cast a vote for any player still alive. Whoever receives the most votes will be lynched. Specific rules:
— You may not abstain.
— You have to vote a player who is alive as of the phase the vote is cast. Voting a dead player or someone who isn't even playing is invalid. You may vote yourself.
— Ties cancel the lynching.
— If you fail to send in a valid vote in time, you'll automatically vote yourself.
— Votes are made public regardless of ties. Results don't indicate if a player voted him or herself due to no valid vote having been submitted or not.

Order of Abilities

At the end of every phase the lynching always takes place before the Spy's Kill ability. That means even if you are killed, your vote still goes through. If the Spy intends to Kill the player receiving the most votes, the ability has no effect as the target will already have been lynched. In that case, additionally to the votes, who was lynched, and their role, it is announced that no one died. Phase change results don't specify if the above-mentioned is what happened or if the Spy decided not to kill.

Gameplay

— You are not allowed to discuss the game in private messages with other players as long as either you or they are alive. The only place to discuss it is this topic.
— Once you have been killed by the Spy or lynched, you are dead and therefore considered 'out of the game'. From that point forward you can no longer use your abilities or vote, and are to stop discussing the game in this topic or influence the game in any way until it ends. You are allowed to talk about the game with other players that have died.
— In order to vote or use your abilities, send a private message to the GM. If you want to change vote or use of an ability, you can do so as long as the phase is ongoing by sending another message.
— If you have any questions concerning any rules, feel free to ask the GM privately.

Guidelines

— Do not attempt to participate with more than one username. This is grounds for permanent banning from any and all future games.
— No petitioning the GM for information about the roles of other players or attempting to influence the tasks of the moderator (asking for certain hints, etc).
— You may not quote, screenshot, or otherwise duplicate or showcase messages from the GM to prove your role, actions, or results.
— Encrypted codes, invisible text or any other attempt to hide information in your posts are forbidden, except for evil players (Spy & Informants) >:D This also means that players shouldn't try to use references only some people will understand (insider information, so to speak).

What to Keep in Mind

— You are allowed to share details of your list publicly, but while it may help identify Informants you might be helping the Spy find the Detective. It is up to you if you want to reveal whole or parts of lists publicly, and if what you claim is even true. But always consider that you are not just talking to your allies, your opponents are listening as well.
— As Spy it is generally considered advisable to use Order to figure out who the Informants are, so as to prevent to accidentally kill an ally. Usually, orders among other things include the request to post messages in the game topic that are framed a certain way, so the Spy can tell who was on the receiving end of the order.
— While the ability is referred to as Order, Informants are not obligated to comply. They can evaluate the situation themselves and might decide to disobey if they see fit to.
— Unlike Mafia, in Espionage you cannot leave any wills to be published upon your death.
— Unlike some previous rounds, in this round no partial lists are revealed upon a Civilian's death.

Lastly, I'm not making this a rule, but I would ask players to be careful when it comes to editing. From the second something is posted, it's possible another player has seen it. If that has happened, it would be unfair to withhold that information from players who haven't seen it yet by editing it out or deleting it. If you have an additional thought shortly after posting and you don't wanna start a new post just for that, go ahead and add a paragraph and indicate that it was edited. If you realize you've referred to the Spy as Detective and your entire post doesn't make sense or is misleading because of that, change the word and indicate what you corrected. Doing that is okay. But please refrain from deleting parts of your messages.
Last edited by Fujiwara on August 4th, 2014, 4:00 pm, edited 12 times in total.
miyano_shiho
I just love numbers... :)

Re: ESPIONAGE: Round Six (Open for Signups!)

Post by miyano_shiho »

I'm in maybe! :D

“Friendship is like standing on wet cement. The longer you stay, the harder it's to leave, and you can never go without leaving your footprints behind.” - Unknown

“If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.” - Nora Roberts

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault

"Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more hours. Scientists can't invent new minutes. And you can't save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow." - Denis Waitley
bash7353
部下の手柄は上司のもの
上司の失敗は部下の責任

Post by bash7353 »

Count me in!
"Vad ska jag annars vara?" - "Det vet jag inte. Det måste du svara på. Men om du släpper allt du tror att du måste, och frågar dig vad du vill... Vad vill du då?"
描いた夢は叶わないことの方が多い
秀れた人を羨んでは自分が嫌になる
浅い眠りに押し潰されそう夜もある
優しい隣人が陰で牙を向いていたり

惰性で観てたテレビ消すみたいに生きることを時々辞めたくなる

人生は苦痛ですか 成功が全てですか
僕はあなたにあなたに ただ逢いたいだけ
信じたい嘘 効かない薬 帰れないサヨナラ
叫べ叫べ叫べ   逢いたいだけ
MoonRaven
DCTP's 赤死
-
Cbox: Akai Tsuki
-
The paranoid and homicidial townie of DCTP Mafia

Post by MoonRaven »

I'm in! Definitely!
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:Never ignore coincidence. Unless you are busy. Then always ignore the coincidence.
My dA
My AO3
My FF
My Tumblr
Dream or Not finished at 72 chapters

Chapter 33 of Leap to Relatively Unknown updated 12.9.20

Chapter 8 of the sequel, Leaping into the Dream updated 6.10.19

Chapter 2 of The Crow's Song updated 19.7.18
shinichi'sapprentice
I NEED SLLEP

*signs up*

Post by shinichi'sapprentice »

\o/

*kind of forgotten any strategies i had in mind from too much mafia...*

*recruits more people*
Jecka
I'm only tired 25/8, don't mind me

Post by Jecka »

I'll think about it. Give me a day or two.
3DS FC: 1435-4098-2557
Spoiler: Yay Nini! \o/
Usa-chan Man wrote: I am a rabbit, but at the same time, I am not.
Jecka: Those damn beavers
*Jecka sobs
Slider: Those DAM beavers? :V
Jecka: Slider no
Kaito Lady
*plotting*

Post by Kaito Lady »

*comes in and sees box 4 is already taken*
D:
"Plotting since forever"
Spoiler: Fear The Wrath Of My Hammer!
Thanx Yuri for the Awesome pic :D
DCTP Forums=a place where anyone is anyone's sibling/parent/child....and therefore is the best place on earth <3
Spoiler: Write a Will, BO Edition
Spoiler: Whenever in doubt
DCTP Cat Family
My dA
shinichi'sapprentice
I NEED SLLEP

Post by shinichi'sapprentice »

you can have it! i asked Fuji for a different spot... *cough* hi Fuji >:D
dumytru

Post by dumytru »

o/
shinichi'sapprentice wrote:dumytru hasn't acted very 'evil-like', but that's his specialty though...
dumytru's Karaoke Project!
Jellitto

Post by Jellitto »

In!
"Otherwise it would be weird."
Jecka
I'm only tired 25/8, don't mind me

Post by Jecka »

I've decided, I'll join :D
3DS FC: 1435-4098-2557
Spoiler: Yay Nini! \o/
Usa-chan Man wrote: I am a rabbit, but at the same time, I am not.
Jecka: Those damn beavers
*Jecka sobs
Slider: Those DAM beavers? :V
Jecka: Slider no
FuruyAkai
you and your irc-suicidal tendencies :V

Post by FuruyAkai »

*wanders around the thread*

Thought about this long time ago, I've decided to join in! \o/
Sometimes the truth is better left unsaid...

Before you start to judge me, step into my shoes and walk the life I'm living and if you get as far as I am, just maybe you will see how strong I really am - Unknown
miakakiri
Really not sure what I should put here....

Post by miakakiri »

Sign me up! I want to try this again.
I have finally started to actually publish my story! For the moment, expect a new chapter each month.

The Case of the Midnight Channel
"When a strange letter summons the Mouri family to Inaba, Ran is expecting a case. She's not expecting it to involve the TV, though.
If Naoto investigated everyone who came to visit Inaba, she'd have little time for real cases. When Yukiko reports that the Midnight Channel is back, however, she starts to wonder if the visitors are connected. Especially when the image clears, unveiling yet another mystery."

Short version: I'm taking various DC/MK characters to Inaba (where Persona 4 takes place) and dropping them through the TV to face their Shadows!
Cross-posted:Case of the Midnight Channel at Archive of our Own.
Raifuujin
What should I do next....

Post by Raifuujin »

* Raifuujin takes the reserved seat
1412 Phenomenon: When rational people begin acting like mischievous phantom thieves/magicians

3DS FC: 1504 6005 4982
     ___
    l     l
 __l::::l_
/\ (O_^)       Kaitou Approved
Iwamoto Yuri
SPARKLES

Post by Iwamoto Yuri »

*roles in and steal'd bash's spot*
::)
3DS Friend Code: 1564-5101-4615
Yuri gets advice from little fairies, and is thereby not held responsible for any stupid action
pixiv | etsy | livestream
The Doctor wrote:There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
The Doctor wrote:Remember: Hate is always foolish, and love is always wise.