Kogorous Riddle Thread and eworms Deduction Thread

The home to DCTP Forum Mafia as well as any other type of random forum game that you can conjure up.
MDavid

Re: Kogorous Riddle Thread and eworms Deduction Thread

Post by MDavid »

I took that as a possibility. :) The Russian diamond being Oracle's Heart is not sure either.

Are the informations in the table enough to find the good answer?
Last edited by MDavid on January 20th, 2013, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stopwatch

Post by Stopwatch »

I think the Ah Be Baba or whatever it was was s'posed to be a hint. Not entirely sure though.
Terry Pratchett wrote: The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
bash7353 wrote:I kind of always assumed that Haneda's parents might've had names.
Spoiler: Box full of stuff
Write a Will
Some year's SS by Abs. :D
DCW SS from Anime Girl 4 Eva]
Thanks, cinna ^^
Image[/spoiler]
no one
if it is impossible , "no one" can do it

Post by no one »

Raifuujin wrote:

Crimson Rain was used in ceremonial gatherings of the tribes in Africa to hold what would today be seances. Stories tell that even warring tribes would gather when called, because any spirits who were called that were not represented by a tribe would curse that tribe. The legend was passed down by spoken word, so it's origin is unknown.
*fixes the post*    8-)

About the riddle : I think Oracle's Heart and Crimson Rain are unlikely to be Pandora because their powers apparently has been used recently or continuously not just 10000 years ago, so that leaves leaves Palotiana . I may write more after I return to my laptop ..
"There should be no combination of events for which the wit of man cannot conceive an explanation".
Sherlock Holmes
sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

sstimson wrote:
no one wrote:
Raifuujin wrote:

Crimson Rain was used in ceremonial gatherings of the tribes in Africa to hold what would today be seances. Stories tell that even warring tribes would gather when called, because any spirits who were called that were not represented by a tribe would curse that tribe. The legend was passed down by spoken word, so it's origin is unknown.
*fixes the post*    8-)

About the riddle : I think Oracle's Heart and Crimson Rain are unlikely to be Pandora because their powers apparently has been used recently or continuously not just 10000 years ago, so that leaves leaves Palotiana . I may write more after I return to my laptop ..
One should remember that stories are just that stories. There is at the moment only the word of the teller whether or not something happened, or what power that has. It is always possible that the teller is lying for what ever reason. So I ask in this case, is every word that the teller says the truth? Or as I suspect is there more to this then the teller is telling?
Still waiting for an answer to my question and if already answered, please quote the answer. Thanks
Later

Invisible Member
Spoiler: SS Present from PT
Raifuujin
What should I do next....

Post by Raifuujin »

@MDavid: Listen to Stop :V

@sstimson: Most of the facts in the stories are true. But, people being only human, they do lie from time to time. V:
1412 Phenomenon: When rational people begin acting like mischievous phantom thieves/magicians

3DS FC: 1504 6005 4982
     ___
    l     l
 __l::::l_
/\ (O_^)       Kaitou Approved
sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

sstimson wrote:
Spoiler:
Ok, I think I got one. Not sure how good it is but....*shrugs*

Kid was doing some research on which gem he would steal for his next heist. Besides the general 'Big Jewel' criteria, he was looking for ones with something mystical or out of the ordinary. The three he found that seemed promising was a diamond brooch, Oracle's Heart; a ruby set into a headpiece called Crimson Rain; and an emerald in the hilt of a sword, Palotiana.

The Oracle'e Heart was discovered in Greece and articles say that it enabled its discoverer, Ulrich Solomon, to see the future. However, was never reported having empowered anyone else in the same way. But there was another story about a diamond with similar powers that was stolen from a rich family in Russia about a century later. The family never reported it to the authorities, so whether they are the same or not is unknown.

Crimson Rain was used in ceremonial gatherings of the tribes in Africa to hold what would today be seances. Stories tell that even warring tribes would gather when called, because any spirits who were called that were not represented by a tribe would curse that tribe. The legend was passed down by spoken word, so no one knows where it first came from. (He just won't tell anyo-*shot*)

The last, Palotiana, is said to heal the wounds of any warrior who wields it. The writings that said of it's power were lost to a fire about five years after they had been discovered. The only thing that survived said that it had been found in a cave. The group who found it said that they'd followed a map made by an unnamed Japanese who had visited England. The cave was labeled 'Ah Be Baba' on the map, but is found in no other books. It is thought to be a play on Ali Baba.

After ten minutes of thought, Kaito smiled and quickly ran off to make a heist notice. Which jewel did he choose and why?

Note: There might be multiple reasons, since this is an original riddle, but I made it with one in particular in mind. Maybe Kaito will go after the others later, but there is one he chose to prioritize. :V
You ask for reason for not choosing the other two and I might have them

First the
The Oracle'e Heart was discovered in Greece and articles say that it enabled its discoverer, Ulrich Solomon, to see the future. However, was never reported having empowered anyone else in the same way. But there was another story about a diamond with similar powers that was stolen from a rich family in Russia about a century later. The family never reported it to the authorities, so whether they are the same or not is unknown.
Spoiler:
First note that only Solomon had future sight, no one else. It is possible the Gem did nothing. Second a diamond in Russia might have similar powers, not does. It almost sounds like there are two Hearts and Kid can not be sure if one of them might be a Fake. After all thieves sometimes replace the real with fakes. Also KID does enjoy making sure the Gems go back to their REAL owners and here he not only does not know the real owner, he does not even know if the Gem is real. Those are Good reason to put this thief on hold
Next
Crimson Rain was used in ceremonial gatherings of the tribes in Africa to hold what would today be seances. Stories tell that even warring tribes would gather when called, because any spirits who were called that were not represented by a tribe would curse that tribe. The legend was passed down by spoken word, so no one knows where it first came from.
Spoiler:
Again being KID and a magician, he should know how to fake a seance. Again this Gem might have no real power. Also KID, I am sure knows about telephone game. A message like "eat at joes" after a few people could become "Joe ate toes at Low's". word of mouth is not a good way for important facts to be passed. People could easily change the truth to a lie. This fact plus the fact that this stone could also be a fake(no proof it works) would again be enough to put this thief on hold
That leaves the sword and its Gem.
Later

Invisible Member
Raifuujin

Post by Raifuujin »

Spoiler:
True, those are the details I put for why he wouldn't choose those two. But I did still put a riddle in Palotiana's story for why he might believe it had potential to be Pandora.

You could say that you got the answer, if you want, since I didn't say you had to figure out Palotiana's riddle. Finding out to dismiss the other two could count toward explaining why he chose it. Which is funny, since I made the whole thing based around Palotiana's riddle. V:
1412 Phenomenon: When rational people begin acting like mischievous phantom thieves/magicians

___
    l     l
sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

Spoiler:
The last, Palotiana, is said to heal the wounds of any warrior who wields it. The writings that said of it's power were lost to a fire about five years after they had been discovered. The only thing that survived said that it had been found in a cave. The group who found it said that they'd followed a map made by an unnamed Japanese who had visited England. The cave was labeled 'Ah Be Baba' on the map, but is found in no other books. It is thought to be a play on Ali Baba.
The riddle needs solved. The thing is this one also has good reasons why stealing it might not be a good idea. It easy to remove the others when you know the right one.

First note the words" is said". Again Word of mouth and the Phone game. Also note the words "is thought" not is. There is some doubt there.
and then there is the "proof" being destroyed but for a small thing. And again word of mouth "said it was found in a cave. It is suggested it was found in England but it does not say it was found in England only that the group visited England. I sure KID was asking about if any copies were made. Remember not everything written down is true. Ever heard of fiction?
Later

Invisible Member
aly_angelflight
Get that squirrel!

Post by aly_angelflight »

Palotiana has a Greek root to it?

...yeah, I'm out of ideas. ^^;
"I suppose he could have changed. I myself have noticed my growing resemblance to a daffodil.”
3DS Friend Code: 2723-9258-9521
Raifuujin

Post by Raifuujin »

Though the writings describing its power were destroyed, there was something written that survived, which is what 'said' that it was in a cave. It was still written, not spoken. And yes, it was found in England. No connection to anything Greek. V:
Spoiler: Hopefully a bit more helpful of a hint
The cave is the main focus of Palotiana's riddle. Once you figure that part out, other parts of the story should make sense.

___
    l     l
sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

sstimson wrote:
Spoiler:
The riddle needs solved. The thing is this one also has good reasons why stealing it might not be a good idea. It easy to remove the others when you know the right one.

First note the words" is said". Again Word of mouth and the Phone game. Also note the words "is thought" not is. There is some doubt there.
and then there is the "proof" being destroyed but for a small thing. And again word of mouth "said it was found in a cave. It is suggested it was found in England but it does not say it was found in England only that the group visited England. I sure KID was asking about if any copies were made. Remember not everything written down is true. Ever heard of fiction?
Raifuujin wrote: Though the writings describing its power were destroyed, there was something written that survived, which is what 'said' that it was in a cave. It was still written, not spoken. And yes, it was found in England. No connection to anything Greek. V:
Spoiler: Hopefully a bit more helpful of a hint
The cave is the main focus of Palotiana's riddle. Once you figure that part out, other parts of the story should make sense.
Still the doubt is there. Always possible someone dreamed up the whole thing. Now it is time to open Say please? with a cherry on top. by the way, could the "writer" be confused and mistake the middle east for England? The 40 thieves takes place in the middle east. Could the "writer" have had England on the brain when they wrote their story?
Later

Invisible Member
MDavid

Post by MDavid »

The label on the map "Ah Be Baba" is possibly a hint for the treasure hunters. Ah, be like Ali Baba. In this case it means you have to say "Open Sesame!", since access to the cave is password protected. Maybe those words suggested that some magic is involved and of course Kid is going with this one. (Were the writings destroyed in the Great Fire of London?)
Raifuujin

Post by Raifuujin »

Not sure how to answer you, sstimson, because I think you're taking my words the wrong way. Assume that if I say there is/was hard evidence at some point, that what it said was true.
MDavid wrote: The label on the map "Ah Be Baba" is possibly a hint for the treasure hunters. Ah, be like Ali Baba. In this case it means you have to say "Open Sesame!", since access to the cave is password protected. Maybe those words suggested that some magic is involved and of course Kid is going with this one. (Were the writings destroyed in the Great Fire of London?)
Spoiler:
No

As sstimson has pointed out, I used the words "is thought" in that sentence with Ali Baba. Nothing too definite. ::)

And it was just a random fire. Though, that'd be a nice addition if I make a fanfic of this...

___
    l     l
sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

Simple question then. Is this cave real? Is listed on this site here or here?
Later

Invisible Member
Raifuujin

Post by Raifuujin »

It's fictional.

___
    l     l