Kogorous Riddle Thread and eworms Deduction Thread

The home to DCTP Forum Mafia as well as any other type of random forum game that you can conjure up.
miyano_shiho
I just love numbers... :)

Re: Kogorous Riddle Thread and eworms Deduction Thread

Post by miyano_shiho »

no one wrote:
miyano_shiho wrote: I don't know if you already know this but here goes...

You have 20 cards, 6 with faces up and 14 with faces down. You are in a dark room and you can't see them. How will you divide the cards into two groups so that the number of cards with faces up in each group are equal? Flipping the cards is allowed.
has anyone solved this riddle?
Oh, sorry I forgot about my riddle. :-X
Spoiler: Solution
Suppose you divide the cards into two groups: one containing x cards and the other having (20-x) cards.

In one group there are x cards, containing h cards with faces up and t cards with faces down.

In the other group there are (20-x) cards, containing (6-h) cards with faces up and (14-t) cards with faces down.

Then, you flip all those x cards, resulting in t cards with faces up and h cards with faces down. (Flipping none wouldn't work since it gives us [h=6-h] and it is only possible iff h=3. Flipping only some of the cards wouldn't work either, since we wouldn't be sure of the outcome. Flipping all the cards in the other group as well would just reverse the orientations of the cards, so it wouldn't work too. So we are left with flipping all the cards in only one group...)

In equation form (after flipping):
x = h + t
where h = cards with faces down and t = cards with faces up

The two groups should have the same number of cards with faces up so we get this equation:
t = 6 - h, or
h + t = 6

It then follows that x=6 and (20-x)=14.

So to solve that riddle, you should divide the cards into two groups containing 6 and 14 cards, and flip all those 6 cards. ;)

“Friendship is like standing on wet cement. The longer you stay, the harder it's to leave, and you can never go without leaving your footprints behind.” - Unknown

“If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.” - Nora Roberts

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault

"Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more hours. Scientists can't invent new minutes. And you can't save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow." - Denis Waitley
Iwamoto Yuri
SPARKLES

Post by Iwamoto Yuri »

oh gods.... math D:
Spoiler: answer to sstimson's riddle
aibohphobia
Spoiler: for later
anyway, I have a riddle.
A woman walks into a pub and orders a drink at the bar. Upon seeing her the man behind the bar stabs shoots her to death. Why did he do this?
Last edited by Iwamoto Yuri on December 8th, 2012, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DS Friend Code: 1564-5101-4615
Yuri gets advice from little fairies, and is thereby not held responsible for any stupid action
pixiv | etsy | livestream
The Doctor wrote:There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
The Doctor wrote:Remember: Hate is always foolish, and love is always wise.
Kogorou
*drinking beer and playing guitar*

Post by Kogorou »

Okay folks.
There seem to be two or more riddles at the same time.
Please don't do that :)
Wait for the giver to acknowledge your answer, afterwards post a new riddle.
With that there will be only one riddle.
If the giver doesn't say anything within two days please send a PM.
If the that doesn't work you have to wait at least another five days before posting a new riddle.

The riddle worked at right now:
sstimsons palindrome.
Answer given by Yuri Iwamoto.
Giver reply pending.
Last edited by Kogorou on December 6th, 2012, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iwamoto Yuri
SPARKLES

Post by Iwamoto Yuri »

sorry... I missed his riddle before :v
Yuri gets advice from little fairies, and is thereby not held responsible for any stupid action
The Doctor wrote:There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

Kogorou Sorry if I broke the rules but note the first time between the last message before the first one and the last reply was Nov 3 to Nov 16 , almost two weeks. The second time I did it there was no new riddle so I posted a new one dec 3. (last reply before that was nov 17, again almost two weeks.

I did that to try and keep this thread alive. Again sorry if I broke any rules
miyano_shiho wrote: :o I actually thought of that but I said to myself, "It's probably wrong. It doesn't even sound like a word." XD
Yuri Iwamoto wrote: oh gods.... math D:

aibohphobia
anyway, I have a riddle.
Spoiler:
A woman walks into a pub and orders a drink at the bar. Upon seeing her the man behind the bar stabs her to death. Why did he do this?
you see Yuri, while Miyano did not give an answer yet, she suggested she knows. It is only fair to see if she does or not. So to be fair as stated earlier I give the answer on the 7, tomorrow. If Miyano gives the right answer then she should be the next ,if not, well I let you know on the 7th.

as for your riddle
Spoiler:
she asked for a bloody Mary?
Last edited by sstimson on December 6th, 2012, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Later

Invisible Member
Spoiler: SS Present from PT
Iwamoto Yuri
SPARKLES

Post by Iwamoto Yuri »

XD

it is, but as I said... I missed it :v (as in I didn't see it)

and nice try but no XD
miyano_shiho
I just love numbers... :)

Post by miyano_shiho »

sstimson wrote: you see Yuri, while Miyano did not give an answer yet, she suggested she knows. It is only fair to see if she does or not. So to be fair as stated earlier I give the answer on the 7, tomorrow. If Miyano gives the right answer then she should be the next ,if not, well I let you know on the 7th.
Well, to tell you the truth, I did know the answer but I assumed that it was already obvious after you gave the hint. I thought then that it would not be necessary to post my answer so I just gave that comment. :x Sorry for the misunderstanding. And Yuri can go on with her riddle since I don't have any. ;)

“Friendship is like standing on wet cement. The longer you stay, the harder it's to leave, and you can never go without leaving your footprints behind.” - Unknown

“If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.” - Nora Roberts

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault

"Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more hours. Scientists can't invent new minutes. And you can't save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow." - Denis Waitley
Iwamoto Yuri
SPARKLES

Post by Iwamoto Yuri »

if sstimson is ok with that :3
Kogorou
*drinking beer and playing guitar*

Post by Kogorou »

sstimson wrote:   Kogorou Sorry if I broke the rules but note the first time between the last message before the first one and the last reply was Nov 3 to Nov 16 , almost two weeks. The second time I did it there was no new riddle so I posted a new one dec 3. (last reply before that was nov 17, again almost two weeks.

I did that to try and keep this thread alive. Again sorry if I broke any rules
miyano_shiho wrote: :o I actually thought of that but I said to myself, "It's probably wrong. It doesn't even sound like a word." XD
Yuri Iwamoto wrote: oh gods.... math D:

aibohphobia
anyway, I have a riddle.
Spoiler:
A woman walks into a pub and orders a drink at the bar. Upon seeing her the man behind the bar stabs her to death. Why did he do this?
you see Yuri, while Miyano did not give an answer yet, she suggested she knows. It is only fair to see if she does or not. So to be fair as stated earlier I give the answer on the 7, tomorrow. If Miyano gives the right answer then she should be the next ,if not, well I let you know on the 7th.

as for your riddle
Spoiler:
she asked for a bloody Mary?
Don't worry. I just wanted to refresh that rule a bit. I appreciate what you do in this topic. Don't worry as soon as my shedule clears out a bit more "I'll be back":)

Let's see if I can get it right.
Spoiler:
This one sounds simmilar to one I know. If it's the same. The woman has hiccups. Since she gets shot all I can assume is that the bartender was provvoked by her in some way and took revenge.
Iwamoto Yuri
SPARKLES

Post by Iwamoto Yuri »

sorry gorou, that's not the answer
if it's too complicated, you are allowed to ask a question.
Last edited by Iwamoto Yuri on December 8th, 2012, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raifuujin
What should I do next....

Post by Raifuujin »

Just one, or can we ask more?
Spoiler: If only one
Does the fact that he saw her make a difference in whether or not he would have killed her? To put it another way, if he didn't look up and see her, would he have just treated her like anyone else?
Spoiler: If we can ask more
Does what she ordered have anything to do with why she was killed?
If so, does her location matter?
1412 Phenomenon: When rational people begin acting like mischievous phantom thieves/magicians

3DS FC: 1504 6005 4982
     ___
    l     l
 __l::::l_
/\ (O_^)       Kaitou Approved
Iwamoto Yuri
SPARKLES

Post by Iwamoto Yuri »

Spoiler: Answers
1. if he hadn't seen her he would have still heard her so it wouldn't make a difference.
2. it doesn't have to do with what she ordered
3. location would matter I guess, if by location you mean another bar without the killer there
Stopwatch

Post by Stopwatch »

Yuri Iwamoto wrote:
Spoiler: for later
anyway, I have a riddle.
Probably wrong, but...
Spoiler:
Was the guy holding a bar which he proceeded to stab her with? (as in, episode 1 of Conan type bar :x). Not sure if it's right 'cause bars aren't generally used for stabbing, but more whacking, but still... :x
Terry Pratchett wrote: The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
bash7353 wrote:I kind of always assumed that Haneda's parents might've had names.
Spoiler: Box full of stuff
Write a Will
Some year's SS by Abs. :D
DCW SS from Anime Girl 4 Eva]
Thanks, cinna ^^
Image[/spoiler]
Iwamoto Yuri
SPARKLES

Post by Iwamoto Yuri »

Spoiler: XD
actually I was meant to say she was shot but I said stabbed and was too lazy to change it.
So no, just a knife (or a gun now since I just changed my previous post
Last edited by Iwamoto Yuri on December 8th, 2012, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raifuujin
What should I do next....

Post by Raifuujin »

Spoiler: Another question
Was she publicly known, known by him personally, didn't know her at all and it was just because she was a woman? Or none of the above?
1412 Phenomenon: When rational people begin acting like mischievous phantom thieves/magicians

3DS FC: 1504 6005 4982
     ___
    l     l
 __l::::l_
/\ (O_^)       Kaitou Approved