Kogorous Riddle Thread and eworms Deduction Thread

The home to DCTP Forum Mafia as well as any other type of random forum game that you can conjure up.
Borealis

Re: Kogorous Riddle Thread and eworms Deduction Thread

Post by Borealis »

*posts so Mr. Nemo doesn't have to doublepost*
*shot by grammar police*

. ____
./        \
|    o    |
.\____./
      |_-,
     O
no one
if it is impossible , "no one" can do it

Post by no one »

*Thanks Borealis but finds out no riddle has been posted yet, out of laziness simply posts a "copied" riddle*

The Two Guards, Part Two: Stranger Than Truth (from Discover magazine, January, 1991)
You have undoubtedly heard of those mysterious islands where half the inhabitants always tell the truth and the other half always lie. Nobody seems to have actually visited one of these islands, but everyone knows of someone who has, someone who found himself at the fork in a road with a strange islander (who could be either a truth teller or a liar) and who was able to ask only one question to find the right path.
That's simple. So is the case where the islanders don't speak English and you have to interpret their response. It's even possible to find the right road if half of them are zombies or psycho killers and you are armed with one silly question.
I once found myself on an island that made those places look like "Romper Room." Picture, if you will, the Isle of Row, a one-acre forsaken swatch of desert in the middle of the Sea of Troubles. Despite its diminutive size, Row has no less than four kinds of people, all outwardly indistinguishable from one another. There are the members of the First Family, who always tell the truth, and the Pretenders, who never do. There are the Eccentrics, who may or may not tell the truth, depending on whim. Finally there are the Wimps, who are incapable of speaking unless they have heard one of the other kinds of people speak, and then they obsequiously chime in.
One day, as luck would have it, I found myself at the only crossroads on the island, facing four possible routes. Three Rowians stood by, milling about, and I had only two questions to ask in order to reach, as directly as possible, the fabled 100-foot Tower of Schmooze, the island's premier, albeit only, tourist attraction. What did I do?
"There should be no combination of events for which the wit of man cannot conceive an explanation".
Sherlock Holmes
Jefufuh
I liek bananas.

Post by Jefufuh »

Spoiler:
You followed a sign that pointed to the tower :P
Why do detectives use handkerchiefs while opening doors?
Well, they don't...
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/4308246/
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrBobob223
Spoiler: ATTACK!!!!!
Image                           Image                           Image
Rein
真実ã

Post by Rein »

Spoiler:
  It's only one acre and the tower's a hundred feet high, I'm sure if you looked up you'd be able to find your way?
'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.'— Sherlock Holmes

'Have faith in life until you're sure of death.'— Natsuki Koshimizu; Detective Conan
no one
if it is impossible , "no one" can do it

Post by no one »

Jefufuh: not exactly :P
Rein : Correct . Your turn  :)
"There should be no combination of events for which the wit of man cannot conceive an explanation".
Sherlock Holmes
Rein
真実ã

Post by Rein »

Hmm... Okay,

A 24 year-old man is found murdered in his study, and the police have narrowed it down to four people. 22 year-old Olivia Well - his girlfriend; 25 year-old Sam Cart - his best friend; 67 year-old Jan Bell - his mother and 30 year-old Mao Light - his secretary.
All his pens have been taken from his desk, his drawers are all open and lying in front of him is a calender from a few years ago, open at May. Scribbled in the victim's own blood are the numbers: 9 4/8 3/5
The police conclude that it was written by the victim and therefore  must be a dying message.
Who killed the man?

Don't know how easy or hard this is. Feel free to ask for hints or extra information or whatever.
'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.'— Sherlock Holmes

'Have faith in life until you're sure of death.'— Natsuki Koshimizu; Detective Conan
aly_angelflight
Get that squirrel!

Post by aly_angelflight »

What year is the calendar open to, anyhow? ^^;
"I suppose he could have changed. I myself have noticed my growing resemblance to a daffodil.”
3DS Friend Code: 2723-9258-9521
sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

Sure who did it. but the code is the current problem. Got an idea on that but it seem too weird.

feeling it is another keyboard code.
Later

Invisible Member
Spoiler: SS Present from PT
miyano_shiho
I just love numbers... :)

Post by miyano_shiho »

Spoiler:
The one who killed him was his best friend, Sam Cart.
The dying message says "SAM", taken from the first letters of the months.
*9=S(Sept), 4/8=A(April/August), 3/5=M(March/May)

“Friendship is like standing on wet cement. The longer you stay, the harder it's to leave, and you can never go without leaving your footprints behind.” - Unknown

“If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.” - Nora Roberts

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault

"Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more hours. Scientists can't invent new minutes. And you can't save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow." - Denis Waitley
Rein
真実ã

Post by Rein »

What year:
Spoiler:
And Miyano: Correct  :D

Your turn?

miyano_shiho

Post by miyano_shiho »

I don't have a riddle at the moment. I'll look for a good one... might take me some time. If anyone else wants to post, it's fine. :)

Found one (modified it a little ;)):

I have a basket containing 25 Conan plushies and 50 Kaito plushies. I also have an unlimited supply of Kaito plushies. Then, I withdraw two random plushies and:

If both are Kaito plushies, I put one back and throw the other away. :o
If both are Conan plushies, I throw both away and replace them with a Kaito plushie. :o
If I get one each, I throw the Kaito plushie and put the Conan plushie back. :o

Eventually, I am left with only one plushie since in every draw I throw a plushie away. Which one is it? Explain why. ;D
Last edited by miyano_shiho on October 28th, 2012, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

“Friendship is like standing on wet cement. The longer you stay, the harder it's to leave, and you can never go without leaving your footprints behind.” - Unknown

“If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.” - Nora Roberts

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault

"Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more hours. Scientists can't invent new minutes. And you can't save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow." - Denis Waitley
sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

I must ask a question, but it is not likely to get answered.

If " 9 4/8 3/5" was a dying message why repeat the 4/8 and 3/5" why not just a 4 and a 3" so it can only point to one, why the extra blood and time to make the extra characters?

Your likely to answer was not thinking clearly and thus did more then needed.
Later

Invisible Member
Spoiler: SS Present from PT
miyano_shiho

Post by miyano_shiho »

^
I guess that was just to make the riddle more complicated. ;)

aly_angelflight
Get that squirrel!

Post by aly_angelflight »

Well, that's rather easy...
Spoiler: Solution to that...
Because you can only get rid of a Conan plushie by pairing it with another, in which case both are thrown, and there is no way to add more Conan plushies, only when 2 is a factor of the initial number of Conan plushies is it possible for all of the Conan plushies to be thrown out.

Two, however, is not a factor of 25. Thus, you will eventually have 1 Conan plushie left in the basket, and all draws after that will result in you throwing away a Kaito plushie. Eventually, you'll run out of Kaito plushies, and that Conan plushie will be the only one left.
"I suppose he could have changed. I myself have noticed my growing resemblance to a daffodil.”
3DS Friend Code: 2723-9258-9521
miyano_shiho

Post by miyano_shiho »

Exactly. Your turn. :)