Kogorous Riddle Thread and eworms Deduction Thread

The home to DCTP Forum Mafia as well as any other type of random forum game that you can conjure up.
Rein
真実ã

Re: Kogorous Riddle Thread and eworms Deduction Thread

Post by Rein »

Well, at first he put: 'No Letters used' so I'm assuming he just mistook the S for the E, so I don't really mind who goes next  :D
'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.'— Sherlock Holmes

'Have faith in life until you're sure of death.'— Natsuki Koshimizu; Detective Conan
miyano_shiho
I just love numbers... :)

Post by miyano_shiho »

Woah, this thread's buried down.
*Just digging it back up*

Riddles, anyone? :)

“Friendship is like standing on wet cement. The longer you stay, the harder it's to leave, and you can never go without leaving your footprints behind.” - Unknown

“If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.” - Nora Roberts

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault

"Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more hours. Scientists can't invent new minutes. And you can't save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow." - Denis Waitley
Rein
真実ã

Post by Rein »

Just to say I didn't come up with this XD

A man was found murdered on Sunday morning. His wife immediately called the police. The police questioned the wife and staff and got these alibis: The Wife said she was sleeping. The Cook was cooking breakfast. The Gardener was picking vegetables. The Maid was getting the mail. The Butler was cleaning the closet. The police instantly arrested the murderer. Who did it and how did they know?
'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.'— Sherlock Holmes

'Have faith in life until you're sure of death.'— Natsuki Koshimizu; Detective Conan
Silver1412
No, I'm not sarcastic. I'm sarCATic ~nya.

Post by Silver1412 »

The Maid. There's no mail on Sunday.
~nya!
"Oh, don't give me that! None of you are saints, some of you are just good at hiding your sins!" - Our grade school teacher ~nya... She REALLY believed in our innocence didn't she
The resident DCTP mother kitty ~nya!

DCTP Cat Family
Join us, you know you want to ~nya!
Avatar the courtesy of brilliant Yuri Iwamoto ~nya.
Spoiler: Sad truth about Mass Effect
Rein
真実ã

Post by Rein »

Haha, yeah.
Not a very difficult riddle XD

At any rate, it's your turn Neko-chan :D

Silver1412

Post by Silver1412 »

Hmm... I don't really know any good riddles but... Oh well. I'll give you guys a really simple one.

Sometimes you see me,
sometimes you don't.
I'm in the sky, yet I don't glow.
What am I?
~nya!
"Oh, don't give me that! None of you are saints, some of you are just good at hiding your sins!" - Our grade school teacher ~nya... She REALLY believed in our innocence didn't she

DCTP Cat Family
miyano_shiho

Post by miyano_shiho »

Spoiler:
Uhm... let's see... a cloud, perhaps?

“Friendship is like standing on wet cement. The longer you stay, the harder it's to leave, and you can never go without leaving your footprints behind.” - Unknown

“If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.” - Nora Roberts

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault

"Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more hours. Scientists can't invent new minutes. And you can't save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow." - Denis Waitley
Borealis

Post by Borealis »

moon?
*shot by grammar police*

. ____
./        \
|    o    |
.\____./
      |_-,
     O
Silver1412

Post by Silver1412 »

miyano_shiho wrote:
Spoiler:
Uhm... let's see... a cloud, perhaps?
Correct. Sorry for not posting earlier. And as I said it was an easy one.
~nya!

DCTP Cat Family
Felicita

Post by Felicita »

Shiho, your turn. D:
miyano_shiho

Post by miyano_shiho »

Oh sorry, you were waiting. :x I'm still looking for a good one but if you (or anyone else) want to post one, you could do so. ;) I missed this thread too. :D

Felicita

Post by Felicita »

But I don't have any riddle. D:
miyano_shiho

Post by miyano_shiho »

Okay, here's one.

There are 100 doors. One day, someone walks through and opens every door. Then he walks through it again and closes the even-numbered doors. On the third trip he stops at every third door and closes the door if it’s open or opens it if it’s closed. And so on: On the nth trip he stops at every nth door, closing an open door or opening a closed one. At the end of the 100th trip, which doors are open?

Kogorou
*drinking beer and playing guitar*

Post by Kogorou »

1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100

Only the doors with square numbers can be open :)
Last edited by Kogorou on September 8th, 2012, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
miyano_shiho

Post by miyano_shiho »

Kogorou wrote: 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100

Only the doors with square numbers can be open :)
Correct.
Spoiler: Solution
Listing the visits for each door would be helpful. :)

Door: Visited on trip(s)
1: 1
2: 1, 2
3: 1, 3
4: 1, 2, 4
5: 1, 5
6: 1, 2, 3, 6
7: 1, 7
8: 1, 2, 4, 8
9: 1, 3, 9

It can be inferred that the visits are actually the divisors of the number of each door.
An even total number of visits (divisors) is a closed door, while an odd one is an open door.
The only numbers that have an odd number of divisors are perfect squares. To support this, here's an example:
15: 1, 3, 5, 15
16: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16
Note that a particular pair of divisors multiplied to each other results in the number (1x15, 3x5, 1x16, 2x8).
But perfect squares include one divisor multiplied by itself (4x4), which means that the total number of divisors for perfect squares will always be odd.

Forgive me for the long (and probably confusing) explanation. Every math problem deserves a sound proof.  ;)
Kogorou, your turn. :)