Kogorous Riddle Thread and eworms Deduction Thread

The home to DCTP Forum Mafia as well as any other type of random forum game that you can conjure up.
MDavid

Re: Kogorous Riddle Thread and eworms Deduction Thread

Post by MDavid »

Spoiler:
Were the leaves used to hide the weapon?
If I remember correctly we already stated that no.
Were the leaves in any way beneficial to the culprit?
Not at all. In fact the opposite.

They show that they could come in from outside for a long time. But how?

Obviously through the window. But we know that the windows did not have to stay opened to commit the crime.

That can only mean...

:)
Last edited by MDavid on August 24th, 2012, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
miyano_shiho
I just love numbers... :)

Post by miyano_shiho »

Spoiler:
I can't help but think that the murder weapon is the window (glass).
The leaves were scattered by the air because the window glass was removed.
When the culprit returned it, he noticed that the leaves were sticking out so he used the hair dryer. Or maybe some leaves got stuck when replacing the window.
Sorry if that sounded weird.
*crosses her fingers*

“Friendship is like standing on wet cement. The longer you stay, the harder it's to leave, and you can never go without leaving your footprints behind.” - Unknown

“If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.” - Nora Roberts

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault

"Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more hours. Scientists can't invent new minutes. And you can't save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow." - Denis Waitley
MDavid

Post by MDavid »

Spoiler:
I can't help but think that the murder weapon is the window (glass).
The leaves were scattered by the air because the window glass was removed.
A single glass would shatter when you hit somebody at full strength...
Go on. 8-)
miyano_shiho

Post by miyano_shiho »

Spoiler:
Oh yeah, there were two windows. He probably took them both for greater force/weight (And he could hit the victim using the edge so it won't shatter, right? The weapon was supposed to be thin.).  :o

“Friendship is like standing on wet cement. The longer you stay, the harder it's to leave, and you can never go without leaving your footprints behind.” - Unknown

“If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.” - Nora Roberts

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault

"Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more hours. Scientists can't invent new minutes. And you can't save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow." - Denis Waitley
MDavid

Post by MDavid »

Yes, continue.  :)

Anybody who knows the rest.

So how did it happen? What is proof against the suspect?
Last edited by MDavid on August 24th, 2012, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miyano_shiho

Post by miyano_shiho »

Not really sure about everything. What is still lacking?
Spoiler:
He probably took of the windows while his brother wasn't there/looking (or talked to him about removing the windows) and hit him.
After that he washed the blood off the windows in the tub and dried them using the hair dryer.
Because the windows were taken off for a moment, a number of leaves had already entered the room.
Also, to keep the leaves from sticking, the windows needed to be really dry (or was there another use for the hair dryer?).
Some leaves might have gotten stuck at the corners/edges while replacing the windows so they appear to be sticking out (or was it something else?).
After that, he thought he was done and that was already enough to hide the weapon, so he called the police.

His fingerprints should be all over the windows. And bloodstains in his clothes.
For six whole hours I have been trying to solve this case and was about to quit (not really good for a detective). I am, rather, my brain is kind of tired. :) It was fun though.
Last edited by miyano_shiho on August 24th, 2012, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MDavid

Post by MDavid »

Hereby I declare the conclusion of the case.

The missing part is adhesive. He glued the two glasses together. He used the hair dryer to loosen it up and take them apart. The leftover glue makes the leaves stick.

The proof is only he could prepare without being interrupted. There could be fingerprints on the glass in impossible positions. The gaskets may be damaged or in a bad position, also causing air to flow in.

I bow before your endurance great detectives. Thank you.

sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

A what if question.

Is it possible the killer while outside called the victim to put his head outside the window, and then hit him while outside?

This might explain why the window was open so long ( he needed to bring them back inside )

What I was thinking is if hit a certain way the body will fall back into the room, and enough force might knock it farther away from the window.
Last edited by sstimson on August 24th, 2012, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Later

Invisible Member
Spoiler: SS Present from PT
MDavid

Post by MDavid »

Yes, it is definitely possible. I can think of four disadvantages for the culprit.

It takes more time and energy. The victim can see it coming. There is a chance of witnesses. Above ground floor you need a balcony.

Maybe there is an advantage?
sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

sstimson wrote: A what if question.

Is it possible the killer while outside called the victim to put his head outside the window, and then hit him while outside?

This might explain why the window was open so long ( he needed to bring them back inside )

What I was thinking is if hit a certain way the body will fall back into the room, and enough force might knock it farther away from the window.
MDavid wrote: Yes, it is definitely possible. I can think of four disadvantages for the culprit.

It takes more time and energy. The victim can see it coming. There is a chance of witnesses. Above ground floor you need a balcony.

Maybe there is an advantage?
If done right, the victim will not see it coming. And if in a rural setting, the chance of witness is very low. Also that would move or set the scene of the crime to a false location and some unwanted clues like maybe shoe prints will be missed.
Later

Invisible Member
MDavid

Post by MDavid »

So in certain circumstances it is even convenient for the culprit. Sounds right.
miyano_shiho

Post by miyano_shiho »

Here's another cryptogram:

6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!

;D

No hints for now.

MDavid

Post by MDavid »

Spoiler:
1. Change each number to the letter it resembles.
6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!
Guqe GusAwr qe wmAeokA!

2. Suspect that the two-letter word is "is".

q -> i
e -> s

3. Be lazy and use a cryptogram solver.

http://www.blisstonia.com/software/WebD ... /index.php

4. Choose the most fitting answer.

This thread is awesome!
;D
miyano_shiho

Post by miyano_shiho »

Spoiler:
MDavid wrote: 1. Change each number to the letter it resembles.
6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!
Guqe GusAwr qe wmAeokA!
That isn't necessary. (Ok, I get it. It is necessary for the cryptogram solver. :V)

q -> i
e -> s
Good. That's the right way to solve cryptograms.

This thread is awesome!
HEY NO CHEATING!  :P  ;D

Actually if you continued solving it, you may substitute the i's and s's.
6uis 6u54wr is w34s0k4!
Then you might figure out that the first word is "This". You can work out the rest.

Okay, so you already know the answer, but how was the code made?
Spoiler:
Okay, I figured out it would be hard to think how I came to that code so here's a hint: typing the code would make it easier to see.
Last edited by miyano_shiho on August 26th, 2012, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

MDavid wrote:
Spoiler:
1. Change each number to the letter it resembles.
6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!
Guqe GusAwr qe wmAeokA!

q -> i
e -> s

This thread is awesome!
;D
Even though I know the answer how is it really done

Frequency Count

6-2, U-2, 9-2, E-3, 5-1, 4-3, W-2, R-1, 3-1, O-1,  K-1

4 E 6 U 9 W 5 R 3 O K

the most frequent letter is E followed by TAONRISHD

6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!
Spoiler:

but E here is in a two letter word and there no such words

you got the pair 6u twice and th is the most most likely pair

(Yes I have read code books and am very good at newspaper codes without cheating. For now see the wiki article on Cryptanalysis

6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!
Th-- Th---- -- -------!

now that T is out and looking at the pair 9e at is common but T is solved? so as but thas is not a word so trying is

6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!
This Th---- is ---s---!

back to the Frequency Count

E=S 6=T U=H 9=I 4 W 5 R 3 O K

got three 4 so it might be E

6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!
This Th-e-- is --es--e!

E=S 6=T U=H 9=I 4=E W 5 R 3 O K

got two W and missing A so it might be A

6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!
This Th-ea- is a-es--e!

the next letter N does not seem to fit but O might
thoe ,eao, aoe oe are all noes so eso

and o might be 0

E=S 6=T U=H 9=I 4=E W=A 5 R 3 0=O K

6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!
This Th-ea- is a-eso-e!

looking at so-e and Letter Frequencies
missing R so make 5 R maybe

E=S 6=T U=H 9=I 4=E W=A 5=R R 3 0=O K

6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!
This Threa- is a-eso-e!

and it looks like r is D so

E=S 6=T U=H 9=I 4=E W=A 5=R R=D 3 0=O K

6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!
This Thread is a-eso-e!

l,c,f do not seem to fit but m does as K

E=S 6=T U=H 9=I 4=E W=A 5=R R=D 3 0=O K=M

6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!
This Thread is a-esome!

and that makes 3 W and the final message this

E=S 6=T U=H 9=I 4=E W=A 5=R R=D 3=W 0=O K=M

6u9e 6u54wr 9e w34e0k4!
This Thread is awesome!

Final Freq. Count looks like this

ESTAIHORDMW

as to your code

A=W, bc, D=R, E=4, fg, H=U, I=9, jkl, M=K, n, O=0, pq, R=D, S=E, T=6, uv, W=3, xyz

W??R4??U9???K?0??DE6??3???
Later

Invisible Member