Kogorous Riddle Thread and eworms Deduction Thread

The home to DCTP Forum Mafia as well as any other type of random forum game that you can conjure up.
lucky777
Why hello there

Re: Kogorous Riddle Thread and eworms Deduction Thread

Post by lucky777 »

First off i wana say that the way you told the story is really unique and i love it. As for the riddle
Spoiler:
Well from what we can gather the rock is not the weopon and was probably brought in from the outside. The leaves came from outside and were from the suspect when he was scattering them to make it look like it was an outside criminal, he also took the rocks in as well. Earlier he set up a piece of frozen ice which he smacked the victim with after which he defrosted the ice with the hairdryer. As proof Ran says the air is fresh which came from the hairdryer and the hairdryer was still warm meaning it was used recently.

So the story went like this, while the victim was in the toilet at this time some blood got onto the bath tub, the killer came in with a piece of frozen ice and smashed his head from behind. After which he melted it with the hairdryer in the bath tub. He called the police and with that he boasted loudly thinking he committed the perfect crime.
I see what you did there ;)
MDavid

Post by MDavid »

Spoiler:
The leaves came from outside... TRUE

...and were from the suspect when he was scattering them... FALSE

...to make it look like it was an outside criminal, he...took the rocks in... TRUE

Earlier he set up a piece of frozen ice which he smacked the victim with after which he defrosted the ice with the hairdryer. FALSE

As proof Ran says the air is fresh which came from the hairdryer... FALSE

...while the victim was in the toilet at this time some blood got onto the bath tub. FALSE

He called the police and with that he boasted loudly thinking he committed the perfect crime. TRUE
;)
Spoiler: Hint
There are no red herrings. All informations (except the jokes) are important. Even Conan helps a little...
Last edited by MDavid on August 23rd, 2012, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no one
if it is impossible , "no one" can do it

Post by no one »

can we treat the pictures as a picture of the crime scene? In other words: considering the blood under the body shall we assume the crime was committed in this room?  ???
"There should be no combination of events for which the wit of man cannot conceive an explanation".
Sherlock Holmes
MDavid

Post by MDavid »

Spoiler: Hint
The bath tub is not the weapon. The leftover water is all around the tub, the blood is around the plughole.
sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

As you said "And the air is so fresh inside even though these small windows are not even opened." Are there large windows that are open? After all you did not say the windows are closed, only the small ones. It seem clear that if there are large windows the leaves came through them. That would also explain why the room has fresh air.

You are required IMO to tell us all the things that came be seen as if we are there. It would not be fair to a crime solver that if important information about the room was leave out.
Spoiler:
it appears the murder happened in the bathtub and the body was moved. How far from the tub is the body and is there any kind of trail of blood between the two?

Maybe after the victim took a bath and was drying his hair, the killer came in. It is possible he used the shower head as the weapon. (some are removable [not attached to the wall] and made of metal). Some of the blood would fall into the tub. The killer rinsed off the shower head and then let the tub drain. that is how blood ended up around the drain.
One final note there is big difference between 438.000 and 438,000. A typo maybe?
Last edited by sstimson on August 24th, 2012, 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Later

Invisible Member
Spoiler: SS Present from PT
MDavid

Post by MDavid »

Spoiler:
There are no other windows, only 2 small ones that Ran mentioned.

You are right that the leaves came through the windows.

The murder was not commited in the bath tub or the bathroom. It was commited in the living room. The body was not moved.

The weapon is not the shower head.

The hair dryer has no fingerprints on it.

I also think "," would be more appropriate here but it differs in countries. I meant 438 thousand. But it just part of the joke so it doesn't matter.

You have all the information to solve the trick. As I said before all small informations, every word can be important. Except the jokes of course.

:)
Last edited by MDavid on August 24th, 2012, 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

Okay then how big are the doors. Are they at least double doors? You are writing your self into a corner.

We know that the killer did not place the leaves and they came from outside. Also a strong wind must be blowing to keep the leaves pasted to the windows. But you got another problem. It called inertia. The leaves would keep going until acted on by a outside source. Either the door stayed open in which case the leaves should have ended up in a corner. or the door was open for a short time in which case the number of leaves would be much less.

The way you seem to have drawn the scene suggesting the later in which case how could the leaves be "all over"?

Also as it is almost certain the killer cleaned up in the tub (no other way to get blood there), there is a question or two. 1) As it is certain after being ready for the police the killer called, why is they any blood at all in the tub? 2) a few drops must have fallen between the scene and the tub and the police chemical would show that. but you made no note of that. Are you playing fair?
Later

Invisible Member
MDavid

Post by MDavid »

Spoiler:
Okay then how big are the doors.
The door has no importance in the story.
Also a strong wind must be blowing to keep the leaves pasted to the windows.
It isn't the wind that keeps them there.  ;)
...how could the leaves be "all over"?
It just means leaves could come in randomly from outside for a long time. What matters is what this indicates.
Also as it is almost certain the killer cleaned up in the tub (no other way to get blood there).
Exactly.
As it is certain after being ready for the police the killer called, why is they any blood at all in the tub?
He made a mistake. Also this by itself isn't proof against him so he could just leave it there.
A few drops must have fallen between the scene and the tub and the police chemical would show that. But you made no note of that.
The police were looking for only the murder weapon.
miyano_shiho
I just love numbers... :)

Post by miyano_shiho »

I still haven't solved it but I think it would be useful to summarize the clues MDavid gave us.

1. The victim was a very short man and Kogorou thinks he must be a body builder.
2. He was hit with a blunt, thin object.
3. The hair dryer was recently used, still warm, and has no fingerprints nor blood.
4. The leaves are sticking on the outside of the window.
5. The air is fresh inside even if the two small windows are closed.
6. The leaves are everywhere in the room and the criminal did not scatter them.
7. Leftover water is all around the tub, the blood is around the plughole.
8. The murder was committed in the living room. The body was not moved.
9. The rocks were just put in to make it seem like the work of an outside criminal.
Spoiler: What I can think of
The murder weapon might be either disposed in the tub or be related to the leaves and the hair dryer(not sure about this).
The windows were open and that was when the leaves came in and why the air is fresh inside. 
For some reason, the criminal (or more probably the victim) had to close the windows (so the leaves were still sticking outside the window).
Something (might also be the murder weapon) was washed in the bath tub and dried using the hair dryer. (And if that something had blood, it must have still been detected right?)
The leaves might be hiding something.
My deduction is still crappy.  :-\

“Friendship is like standing on wet cement. The longer you stay, the harder it's to leave, and you can never go without leaving your footprints behind.” - Unknown

“If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.” - Nora Roberts

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault

"Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more hours. Scientists can't invent new minutes. And you can't save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow." - Denis Waitley
MDavid

Post by MDavid »

Nice summary, but what Kogoro says is entirely joke.
Spoiler:
The murder weapon might be either disposed in the tub or be related to the leaves and the hair dryer(not sure about this).
Neither.
The windows were open and that was when the leaves came in and why the air is fresh inside.
True. But there is more to it.
For some reason, the criminal (or more probably the victim) had to close the windows (so the leaves were still sticking outside the window).
The criminal. Why are the leaves sticking?
Something (might also be the murder weapon) was washed in the bath tub...
Exactly.
...and dried using the hair dryer.
Yeah. But there is more to it.
(And if that something had blood, it must have still been detected right?)
Right!
The leaves might be hiding something.
Nope
For a hint listen to what Conan says. ;)
Last edited by MDavid on August 24th, 2012, 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
miyano_shiho

Post by miyano_shiho »

MDavid wrote: Nice summary, but what Kogoro says is entirely joke.
For a hint listen to what Conan says. ;)
:-X I shouldn't have put what Kogoro said.

As for what Conan said, you mean...
Spoiler:
see through = windows (I wonder what would happen if you open the windows...)
I can't figure out what the criminal did with the windows (besides closing them).
The murder weapon might be hidden in the windows.
Also, I think the criminal left the hair dryer on in the living room for a long time (which is part of the trick) and so the leaves are scattered. 
There are still a lot of missing pieces. :-/

“Friendship is like standing on wet cement. The longer you stay, the harder it's to leave, and you can never go without leaving your footprints behind.” - Unknown

“If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.” - Nora Roberts

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault

"Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more hours. Scientists can't invent new minutes. And you can't save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you've wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow." - Denis Waitley
sstimson
Everyone a Critic

Post by sstimson »

Leaves came in from outside through the small windows and there is a wind blowing outside that blow them in. But it is not the wind holding the leaves to the window. That suggest a lot of moisture involved. But your puzzle suggest a lot of time passed, so why are the leaves still sticking to the window? never mind my earlier thought. I just had a new one. Condensation. Enough moisture is outside for water to form on the window. The wind moves leaves and they hit the moisture forming on the window and stick. As this happen normally when water vapor hits a surface colder the the air it comes from, might the air in the room and thus the windows be cooled by both a cooler to make the room temperature bearable and the shower. This would require a hot day.
Spoiler:
a crazy idea. Maybe the handle of a broom or rake is the murder weapon. The victim might have been cleaning up the leaves that came in with like a broom. He put it against the wall when he took a break. the killer picked it up and hit the victim with it, then took it to the bathroom to clean it off.
Later

Invisible Member
miyano_shiho

Post by miyano_shiho »

As for what sstimson said, the leaves were probably sticking because the room was hot because of the hair dryer which was left on for some time. (But in that case the moisture would be inside so never mind what I said.) I don't think the wind or a hot day has something to do with this or some random object was used as the murder weapon. Remember, MDavid already gave us what is essential for this case.
Last edited by miyano_shiho on August 24th, 2012, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

MDavid

Post by MDavid »

@miyano_shiho
Spoiler:
see through = windows
Exactly.
I wonder what would happen if you open the windows...
Nothing special.
The murder weapon might be hidden in the windows.
Yes and no.
I think the criminal left the hair dryer on in the living room for a long time (which is part of the trick) and so the leaves are scattered.
No. They just scattered on their own. It is not important.
@sstimson
Spoiler:
Leaves came in from outside through the small windows and there is a wind blowing outside that blow them in.
Yes.
Condensation.
Excellent idea, but no.
I don't think the wind or a hot day has something to do with this or some random object was used as the murder weapon. Remember, MDavid already gave us what is essential for this case.
As you say.