Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,119–1,122

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,119–1,122

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

1,119 spoilers now out.
Spoiler:
During the middle of Kid's heist, Shinichi/Conan finds him alone in the room with a corpse. Saguru activates his trap, convinced he has Kid dead to rights. To his surprise, he, Inspector Nakamori and Jirokichi find Shinichi/Conan and... "Shinichi."
No break next week—we can expect 1,120 spoilers around this time next week.

UPDATE (11/10/2023)
Spoilers for 1,120 are now out.
Spoiler:
Kid acts as Shinichi, but ultimately, as the chapter ends, Saguru asks pointedly if "Shinichi" is really the genuine article.
No break next week—we can expect 1,121 spoilers at around this time next week.
Last edited by DCUniverseAficionado on November 24th, 2023, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Reader

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,119–1,12X

Post by Reader »

It is interesting how Gosho manages to stirs things up to hook his readers. To think he still manages to come up with such engaging scenarios even after being at it for so long, and not getting drowned in the monotony of it (though he is guilty of the same formulaic aspect of murder cases), speaks a lot about his passion for what he is doing. it is hard to imagine oneself being committed to a single project for so long, let alone come up with episodes on regular basis that spark interest.

my ramblings aside, i like the premise of this current case, even though it is certain that things won't change one bit, everyone will figure out Kid's disguise, and Shinichi will escape any limelight in the press (that otherwise would stir things up), Ran will go back to waiting, Kid will escape and some old guy with a red-herring-crow-like-bird on his cane will break some more screens in rage. Hakuba perhaps will rake his brains at the end, coming dangerously close to revealing conan, only to shrug it off as mere fantasy because story needs the status quo. Despite all of this, Shinichi's appearance after a long time, whether in disguise or not, creates this dynamic between various characters that is enough to satisfy most of the audience, who were seeking some change. especially after the previous case.
blackmoon

Post by blackmoon »

Reader wrote:
November 15th, 2023, 3:24 am
It is interesting how Gosho manages to stirs things up to hook his readers. To think he still manages to come up with such engaging scenarios even after being at it for so long, and not getting drowned in the monotony of it (though he is guilty of the same formulaic aspect of murder cases), speaks a lot about his passion for what he is doing. it is hard to imagine oneself being committed to a single project for so long, let alone come up with episodes on regular basis that spark interest.

my ramblings aside, i like the premise of this current case, even though it is certain that things won't change one bit, everyone will figure out Kid's disguise, and Shinichi will escape any limelight in the press (that otherwise would stir things up), Ran will go back to waiting, Kid will escape and some old guy with a red-herring-crow-like-bird on his cane will break some more screens in rage. Hakuba perhaps will rake his brains at the end, coming dangerously close to revealing conan, only to shrug it off as mere fantasy because story needs the status quo. Despite all of this, Shinichi's appearance after a long time, whether in disguise or not, creates this dynamic between various characters that is enough to satisfy most of the audience, who were seeking some change. especially after the previous case.
Haha... in other words... congratulations for doing the same thing over and over again over so many years with the same passion and spirit? Well, same to you then reader who keeps reading the creations of master Gosho after so many years still ;D
And... congratulations to anyone who is still around here? I'd say passion is truly contagious but after-all this is a chapter involving Kid... and there is a pattern whenever Kid appears. ::) Same thing goes with rain and umbrella? 8-)
"one should stick with one's original plan" (初志貫徹 shoshi kantetsu) ;)
Spoiler:
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

blackmoon wrote:
November 15th, 2023, 7:10 am
And... congratulations to anyone who is still around here?
Congrats right back at ya! ;D
Reader wrote:
November 15th, 2023, 3:24 am

That is one of the big draws of the series to me—threading decades-worth of plot lines together while still sticking to having mysteries that are more one-off and slice of life. Even with the slow pace of progression of the individual plot/character threads, I'd be lying if I said I still wasn't hooked.
Also, Saguru hasn't appeared in quite a while, and he is appearing during a period where more and more Japanese police characters are getting focus, with the implication being that they're going to help Shinichi/Conan in the battle against Rum and the BO once we get to the big climax/confrontation. It's no guarantee that he himself will be helping out Shinichi/Conan of course, as he's more tied to Kid, so unless Gosho changes his mind about not crossing the streams of the BO and Kid again after Mystery Train, we may not get Saguru on Team Shinichi/Conan, be it during the Rum arc or during the Boss/Anokata arc.

Also, 1,121 spoilers are now out.
No break next week—we can expect 1,122 spoilers at around this time next week.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
blackmoon

Post by blackmoon »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
November 16th, 2023, 11:59 pm

That is one of the big draws of the series to me—threading decades-worth of plot lines together while still sticking to having mysteries that are more one-off and slice of life. Even with the slow pace of progression of the individual plot/character threads, I'd be lying if I said I still wasn't hooked.
Also, Saguru hasn't appeared in quite a while, and he is appearing during a period where more and more Japanese police characters are getting focus, with the implication being that they're going to help Shinichi/Conan in the battle against Rum and the BO once we get to the big climax/confrontation. It's no guarantee that he himself will be helping out Shinichi/Conan of course, as he's more tied to Kid, so unless Gosho changes his mind about not crossing the streams of the BO and Kid again after Mystery Train, we may not get Saguru on Team Shinichi/Conan, be it during the Rum arc or during the Boss/Anokata arc.

Also, 1,121 spoilers are now out.
No break next week—we can expect 1,122 spoilers at around this time next week.
Well, speaking of which... I'd still prefer the crazy/wild speculation approach to anticipate any possible reveals or leaks... such as maybe those workers ordered sushi in advance and RUM/Wakita would suddenly appear near the end and questions whether Shinichi truly still exists? Or maybe the Kid in this file turns out to be Vermouth in disguise? Or maybe the Hakuba in this file is actually Kid in disguise? Haha... wouldn't that be more fun if we just twist some of the regular "you know what would happen next" into some shocking surprise? :P
Spoiler:
Rasei

Post by Rasei »

It was pointed out to me on a different website that in chapter 121 is the chapter that Heiji figured out Conan = Shinichi. So maybe Hakuba finding out in this chapter is because it's been exactly 1000 chapters since Heiji found out.
Reader

Post by Reader »

Rasei wrote:
November 22nd, 2023, 5:20 am
It was pointed out to me on a different website that in chapter 121 is the chapter that Heiji figured out Conan = Shinichi. So maybe Hakuba finding out in this chapter is because it's been exactly 1000 chapters since Heiji found out.
Interesting indeed
ryankun0903
Whodunit Fanatic

Post by ryankun0903 »

I do hope that Hakuba's reappearance is connected to the mystery old man with the eagle. I don't mind Hakuba knowing Conan is Shinichi. It will be just like with Eisuke.
DCUniverseAficionado

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 1,119–1,122

1,122 spoilers are now out—and it turns out this is the final file of the case.
Spoiler:
The culprit is the secretary, Kyūya Kamiji.

Kid's cover is blown when Ran notices a mistake he made.

Saguru's determination is that Kid was giving instructions to Shinichi/Conan, not the other way around.
Reader

Post by Reader »

Any information about how long the break or the next file release date?
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

Next chapter will be oficially released on January 10.

As part of the 30th anniversary campaign.

Contents are to be announced.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
DCUniverseAficionado

Spimer wrote:
December 1st, 2023, 7:25 am
Next chapter will be oficially released on January 10.
File 1,123 will come out with SS #7, so we can expect spoilers around January 5th.
Reader

Post by Reader »

Thank you for the information. I hope Gosho gives us a new year gift with a plot centric case.
blackmoon

Post by blackmoon »

Reader wrote:
December 2nd, 2023, 1:34 am
Thank you for the information. I hope Gosho gives us a new year gift with a plot centric case.
Speaking of which... no idea if any of you ever heard of another manga called Five Star Stories which finally made a breakthrough with a cliffhanger left hanging for over 20 more years? What a relief it was! I mean for Conan the biggest cliffhanger would be who is "anokata?" Honestly, any further hint is appreciated next year regarding "anokata" ::) Please Gosho, really, I'm even ready to accept the old man with the falcon as "anokata" if you really stretch it... the cry of a falcon can be misheard as the cry of an infant over the phone right? ;D
Spoiler: