Hair colours

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
samcurt
May it shine, our new glory and spirit here--

Hair colours

Post by samcurt »

This is something that I started to notice after reallying branching out my portfolio-- Conan is one series that everyone have natural hair colours. Which as many people know is never very common.

Of course serii that were intended to be extreme realistic would do this too, but Conan, in its early stages, was never intended to be that realistic as much as being comedic. So I just wonder why all the hair colours were still within normal Japanese limits...
[img width=500 height=71]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170 ... 9184f1.png[/img]
Hiroki Sawada is cute sweet übergenius love.
Rellik
/facepalm

Re: Hair colours

Post by Rellik »

it mainly depends on how an artist draws the hair, u can clearly tell adding like green colour to Conan's hair doesn't work, or pink to Ran's. because their hair looks like what real ppl have.

and besides, Gosho's drawings are truly very good, it'd definitely ruin it if u add random colours to it.
TromOuji
DCTP Staff Member
ã

Post by TromOuji »

Actually, I've always felt that the anime character designers were intentionally doing this to give the Conan anime a more realistic feel.  This in keeping with it being a family show, and not having too many anime tropes in it.  I've noticed that even where Aoyama leaves people's hair basically white (code for brown or blond usually) the anime character designer sometimes replaces it with standard black hair.

I do note that however, this doesn't extend to eye color.  How many Japanese people really have blue/green/purple?! eyes?
Last edited by TromOuji on September 22nd, 2008, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juansmarts

Post by Juansmarts »

Prince Trom wrote: I do note that however, this doesn't extend to eye color.  How many Japanese people really have blue/green/purple?! eyes?
The same number of ppl that have contact lenses  :P.

I think that hair color denotes the whole realism of Detective Conan, but I think it also has to do with race/nationality, since Ai and that Agasa's childhood friend (I forget her name  :P) have brown hair, signifying the fact that they are half Japanese, half American(or English?). Then again, those are the only two examples I have...
Aluecard
yes it is true ~ for Alue

Post by Aluecard »

ya that so true as you sayd
1980-2011/3
R.I.P
kirite
Cookie-Eating Moderating Machine
Chillin'

Post by kirite »

On the topic of blue eyes:  If you look at "Inuyasha", the main character Kagome originally has blue eyes as well (in the manga).  I think they just coloured it blue for stylistic reasons but in DC's case it ended up as the default eye colour.   
Hey, I have an idea, let's have a THIS SUCKS / NO THIS SUCKS / NO YOU / NO YOU argument for a couple pages, that will really be great. - Ingmar
Rellik
/facepalm

Post by Rellik »

Juansmarts wrote:
Prince Trom wrote: I do note that however, this doesn't extend to eye color.  How many Japanese people really have blue/green/purple?! eyes?
The same number of ppl that have contact lenses  :P.
no, ppl do hav natural green eyes
EricAnimeFreak
Otaku 4 Life!

Post by EricAnimeFreak »

As Gosho is a man, who we presume, loves facts and clues. We can assume, that he prefers to keep things as realistic as possible. As hair color, eye color, and other such variants, are often used to determine suspects to a case, "as a man of loving fact" Gosho would ultimately keep theses details as plain an accurate as possible. Could you imagine if conan said this...
Conan impersonating Kogaru. "The criminal is you!"
GUY "Yeah right, Detective"
Conan "I first noticed that your clothes were made from the Elfish Undewear knomes that tend to live in everyone's drawers. This led me to beleive that you, as a slave owner would have to have the cermonial slave whip.
Guy "Anyone is allowed to own such a whip!"
Conan "Yes but yours is special as, if we take a closer look at it, we will find a stain from the ink you used to fake the victims sucide note!"

Gosho wouldn't just make facts and things up! Obviously he keeps things as accurate as possible, afterall, people in the real world don't have multi-colored hair. The eye's may have just been a slip-up. noting however, that heredity often gives a small chance of weird colored eyes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color

And yes, people can have green eyes naturally, as well as: Brown, Red,Blue, Gray, Hazel, and Violet!
Colred eye-contact lenses are bad, but very popular also!
http://www.thoughts.com/news/Life/japan ... nses-35228
Image Image
"Anyone can write, only a literary genuise can entertain."
Found
Dead.

Post by Found »

people have natural violet eyes?! wow that's so cool.. ^^ though i don't understand the square thing [Punett's?] regarding hereditary laws, that has to be cool ;D
No amount of apologies will express how much I regret it.
Misztina

Post by Misztina »

About the eyes: Gosho said in an interview in Germany that the characters are often blue-eyed, because it is more colourful that way. I guess he meant that brown hair with brown eyes or black hair with brown eyes are not so great.
kat1214young
shinjitsu wa itsumo hitotsu

Post by kat1214young »

that's because blue eyes give life to the characters face. if the hair color is already dark and the eyes black/brown, it would seem too dark...
thanks DCTP!!! ♥♥♥
Image Image Image

thanks very much ShinRan36!!!! ♥♥♥ *mwah*
bluekaitou1412
Community Phantom
Indie artist. Likes books and all things Haibara.

Post by bluekaitou1412 »

kat1214young wrote: that's because blue eyes give life to the characters face. if the hair color is already dark and the eyes black/brown, it would seem too dark...
and the faces would be too dull, right?
Last edited by bluekaitou1412 on June 9th, 2009, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Found
Dead.

Post by Found »

yep, kinda monotonous. that's why heiji has blue eyes and dark brown hair, then his brown skin.. if his eyes were a shade of brown too then that would make him look like a chocolate. o_O"
No amount of apologies will express how much I regret it.
Misztina

Post by Misztina »

Yum?  ;D

Btw. I find it cool that the characters have natural hair colours. I was only upset with Eri's anime hair colour. It was always different and sometimes deep brown like Ran's. >.<
kaitoushinichi

Post by kaitoushinichi »

But some of the hair colors in the more recent episodes are beginning to be a little... unnatural.
The lady from the "Blue Spark of Hate" had pink hair... kinda freaked me out a little there...